Thursday, October 2, 2008

National Stay at Home Week: A Recap

Whether you consider it clever or not, ABC declared last week as National Stay at Home Week to denote the premiere of its new and returning Fall TV shows. Pretty ironic considering we drove to Vegas on Sunday, LA on Wednesday and then San Diego on Friday (for a work function of Joe's). However, we all know that this was not going to squash my excitement for the return of Must See TV (thank goodness for TiVo). So which of my shows met my expectations and which have failed to capture my attention? Read on. You may or may not be surprised. Warning: Spoilers ahead.

The first show I watch on my To Do List:

Brothers and Sisters. I love the fact that this is a soapy drama for adults. I don't have to be embarrassed to watch this show like I sometimes feel about Gossip Girl or 90210. I cannot wait to see how the obvious chemistry plays out between Justin and Rebecca now that they are involved in a romance and I am so glad it is not weird considering that they once thought they were related.

The new show I am most excited about:

Okay, so this is no surprise - Fringe. This show has not failed to disappoint me. I love the weekly story lines and the bigger unifying theme of technology and science being so advanced it can no longer be properly controlled. And of course I love Joshua Jackson. I love the complexity of his character - the love and hate relationship with his father, his wit, charm and intelligence and the fact that at some point he is obviously going to get romantically involved with the female lead. JJ Abrams always creates these wonderfully strong female characters and Anna Torv's Olivia is no exception.

The only issue I have with this show is that Joe also likes it, which is a plus in that we can watch it together The issue I am having is figuring out how to swoon over Jackson with Joe in the room. LOL!

The show I was most surprised about:

Desperate Housewives. I was all but ready to write this show off. Last season was really craptastic and then they go and leap 5 years ahead? However, I was completely sucked back in with Sunday's season premiere and cannot wait to see how all the new story lines play out.

The show I was most disappointed with:

Okay, nobody stone me for this but.... Grey's Anatomy. Really could it get anymore boring for a season premiere? The whole storyline with the wives and husbands was okay but even I am getting sick of hearing about Mer's commitment issues and seriously? Does anyone think that the icicle in Christina's chest would have at least melted some while they debated what to do about it? And don't get me started on Lexie pining after George. Give me a break.

On a side note for those who are both Grey's and Fringe fans. I tried to confirm this but I am pretty sure that the recurring guest role of Major Hunt was supposed to be played by Joshua Jackson. Those plans got canned due to the writer's strike. While given a choice I would surely rather have him on Fringe than only a few episodes of Grey's, but if it were not for the writers strike, we could have had both. Boo! I could totally see him in that part.

Let's talk reality, reality, reality:

Dancing with the Stars: I remember saying that I was little unexcited about this season's cast and I still kind of feel that way. But I think one thing that is exciting this season is that no one came out of the gate a clear front runner. None of the celebrities are really really good. This means we will get to see them grow over the season and it will make the competition a little less predictable. I really like Brooke Burke, Cody Linley and Lance Bance. I know a lot of people don't like Lacy Schwimmer from SYTYCD and feel that they should keep things more traditional but so much has been made of the fact that Lance is gay. I mean come on - they gave them the Katy Perry song, "I Kissed a Girl" to dance a Paso. What do you expect? I personally like that they shake things up and suspect that the fans will keep them in even if Len continues to give them low scores. I also suspect that after there obvious nervous reaction to being one of the last couples revealed safe, they may have been scared into playing by the rules a little bit more. Only time will tell.

Amazing Race: You just cannot get away from the suspense of this show and I did feel for the beekeepers. Who wants to be the first couple eliminated, your journey all over the world cut short at just one stop? I find the frat boys quite entertaining but I have my doubts about how far they will go. I think the brother/sister team look pretty strong and although I would love to see an all female team win, I am not so sure about the choices for this season.

The shows that are guilty pleasures in there truest forms. They make me feel young. No wait they make me feel old:

90210. I swore I would only give the new 90210 a couple of episodes after the premiere proved to be pretty full of cheese. Then it became an issue of wanting to know who was the father of Kelly's baby but we all knew it was going to be Dylan since there is a possibility of Luke Perry returning to the show while Jason Presley's Brandon had declined. Then they went and revealed the father WAY SOONER than I expected and now I have no excuses. I am still watching it.

Gossip Girl. Let's face it. This show is pure entertainment. It is edgy, sarcastic and even makes fun of itself. And I never laugh out loud when watching TV yet Gossip Girl has given me the Lolz 3 times this season (are you reading this Emmettalie?).

I am further defending my decision to watch these shows because the odds are that these are the shows where the full length trailer to my beloved Twilight movie are more likely to show up and once it does, I better clear some space on my TiVo because that show is being marked "FOR KEEPS".

And finally, were there any tears?:

Surprisingly, YES. Usually if tears are going to occur they happen during finales not premieres, but this year's final opener of ER was a tear jerker, especially for loyal fans like myself. I cannot even talk about it. Nuff said.

And so folks, with the bulk of the premieres behind us and ABC's permission to once again leave the house, I would now like to hear from you. If you agree or disagree with my assessments, speak up! If there is a show I did not mention and you feel the need to rant or rave or about it, let me know. (insert shameless plug for comments here).

4 comments:

Kaycee said...

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I watch most of those shows too. LOL..along with quite a few others.

Grey's was awful! I was so uninterested..that isn't like me at all.

Gossip Girl..well you know how I feel about it :)!!

DWTS-I think i've come to love the dancers on this show. Maksim and Derek are my 2nd and 3rd boyfriends(lol) and Julianna and Lacey are amazing! So I watch just to see all of them.

Brothers and Sister- I think it'll get much more interesting this season..yay!

Have you watched Lipstick Jungle or Dirty, Sexy, Money? I'm in LOVE with those shows!!

LauraC said...

I felt the same about Desp Housewives. Ready to delete it off my tivo list and then it was awesome.

Only watched 15 min of grey's last night before Jon called from MSP so I've got to get back on that. Didn't read your summary.

And House was an AWESOME season opener. AWESOME.

JenFen said...

I am glad I am not alone on my feelings for Grey's. Hopefully it did not jump the shark when Mer lit the candles last season. LOL! Laura C. come back and give your opinion when you finish watching the episode.

So we have additional votes for House and Dirty Sexy Money, which I don't watch and yes Kaycee, I am a HUGE fan of Lipstick Jungle. It took quite an interesting turn last week - Nico's boy toy is HOTNESS!

Heidi O said...

We are so behind on our tv watching or I should say tivo watching at this point. I stopped with Greys but I liked this week's new practice.

I love Chuck and am so glad to have it back. He is so goofy and cute (sh don't tell my husband.)

We haven't even started watching heros yet.

I love house and we saw the opener but nothing more yet.

I am glad bones is back on. I love the interplay between the two.

I haven't really started any new shows this season.

This is an awesome post.