Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Getting a KICK out of Soccer

Jake only has 2 more games left in his short little soccer season. He has thus far loved every minute of it. He may not be the best player, but he is definitely the most enthusiastic. While some of the kids are easily distracted, often wandering off the field, even trying to convince their parents to play at the park instead of finishing the game, Jake is ready to go at all times. On a typical game he plays one quarter out on the field (at the age they do not assign positions) and one quarter in goalie.

The very first game he started off in goal and I was SO nervous for him. I wondered why the coach had chosen him. Turned out it was all my fault. Apparently, I had made an offhanded remark on the way to practice earlier in the week to Jake about him making a good goalie. A remark I made because like most 4-year olds who play soccer, he has a tendency to want to use his hands. So before the game when the coach asked who wanted to play goalie, Jake raised his hand and said, "My mommy said I would be a good goalie!"

As it turns out, with a little bit of practice, I was right. In fact last game Jake had 3 saves while in goal and didn't have any scores against him. After the game the opposing team's coach specifically remarked about Jake's skills diving after the ball, saying he had "no fear" and calling him "insane". I never thought my son would have a reputation for being insane, nor did I ever think I would be proud of such a moniker but boy was I ever.

Kicking a ball after a save:

Our goalie in action:

Diving for the save:


Watching Jake play out in the field is just as entertaining. He has really improved his dribbling skills as the season has progressed and since the 2 penalties he incurred for trying to pick up the ball during the first game, he seems to grasp the difference between playing goalie and trying for a goal out in the field. In fact he has scored one goal so far this season. I am however, constantly reminding him not to fight over the ball with his own teammates as naturally at this age everyone wants to have the ball and be the one to kick and score. He also has a tendency to just take off and run and needs to be coached a little as to when to turn around and wait for the ball to return back to play.

Getting ready to kick:



Dribbling down the field with a teammate(Jake is #6):


But again, at this age it is all about having fun and learning the fundamentals and for that, Jake wins every time no matter what the score. And he could not have asked for better teammates, better parents or a better coach. More importantly, I have been uber-impressed with the referee, who with this age group not only has to ref but also has to have patience a mile long, acting as part coach prodding them along when they just don't quite "get it" and comforter when someone gets hurt or loses a shoe. Jake idolizes him and at home he imitates him, taking a toy whistle and "penalizing" Jadyn when she picks up the ball with her hands or kicks it out of bounds. He has the referee's hand and body signals memorized to a tee. Here he is helping Jake when a powerful kick took his shoe off during a game:


The team on picture day:

Outtake on picture day:


How cute does he look in his uniform?:



I am still hoping to get a few more good action shots before the season is over and although shuttling Jake to practice twice a week and games on Saturdays does get exhausting, I will be sorry when the season is over. Soccer has been the one thing that actually seems to wear him out, more than swimming or tee-ball. I tried to ask him one day what his favorite activity has been between the three and he said he likes all three and refused to pick a favorite. I think he instinctually knew that Daddy was ball player and Mommy grew up playing soccer and the truth is, he can continue to play both as long as he enjoys it. I do think he actually likes the sport of baseball better and has more natural skill toward it, but at this age, it is hard to beat the fun of running around and diving after the ball when playing soccer.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Your post really made me smile. I loved how you fit all of the pictures in so well with your story. It sounds like you guys all had a lot of fun. It sounds like the ref is also a really great guy. And OMG, how cute is your little boy in that uniform?

London said...

So cute!!!

Yeah, sorry about my blog last night, it was around 11 when I decided to change the whole thing, but then changed my mind! Yes, I saw the trailer, it looks sooo good! Especially Edward, I mean Rob Pattinson.

Julie said...

Awesome action shots! He is super cute and quite the little athlete :)

Steph said...

Yay Jake- sounds like he had such a fun time in soccer this year!