Saturday, October 4, 2008

First Glimpse

I had the most amazing morning.

I was dreading this weekend the whole week. Joe is gone out of town on business, potentially for almost the entire month. While I am used to accomplishing most of the week's activities while flying solo, there are certain things I take for granted on the weekend - like having Joe to watch Jadyn on the playground during Jake's soccer games and my Sunday trips alone to the grocery store. So with Jadyn's princess lunch bag full of goodies, not to mention camp chairs, camera, soccer ball, cleats, shin guards, purse and water bottle - we set out.

The soccer game went beautifully. I got Jake all geared up and let Jadyn play on the playground during the team's warm-up time. I then lured her over to the sideline with a lollipop. Once that had been dropped in the grass and irretrievable, she was then contented with an apple, a juice box and some Ritz cheese sandwiches. I was able to watch the entire game (including Jake's goal and 3 saves while playing goalie) AND take numerous pictures.

With all our belongings in tow, we then headed off the grocery store. I know a lot of moms frequent the store with their kids during the week and it's not like my kids are brats. I just find it difficult to maneuver a week's worth of groceries while keeping the kids occupied. Invariably, someone will want something not on the list or won't stay in the cart and then will suddenly decide to wander down the next aisle or grab an apple causing an avalanche. I can deal with all these situations. They just require planning and patience. So when given the opportunity, I usually choose to do the bulk of the shopping alone on the weekend and then while Jake is at school, Jadyn and I will run in and grab a few items here or there. Today required planning and patience. I had no list and my allergies were killing me but I still managed to rationalize that it was better to get it over with while we already out then to make a special trip on Sunday.

The kids were angels. I explained what was expected of them in the car before going in. I offered Jake his special race track and trunk of hot wheels to play with when we got home if he was good. We got free cookies from the bakery and the car cart they get to drive. They ate there cookies, drove the cart and never once fought. They even started humming together, Jake with his arm around Jadyn causing huge grins and compliments from nearly ever other patron in the store. They listened to me when I explained why we were not getting candy bars in the check out line and they waited where they were told after exiting the cart (since it is not allowed outside the store.) Then as if from some movie or dream, Jadyn held Jake's hand, Jake onto the cart and we all made are way out to the car without incident. In all fairness they are this well behaved more than I give them credit for. I just really NEEDED and WANTED this trip to go smoothly.

I won't be tempting fate though. When given a choice, I would still rather do my grocery shopping alone on the weekends. But it is nice to know that I can take both kids and that it is getting easier. They definitely set the expectation with this trip today.

By the way, Joe called. He gets to come home for the rest of the weekend. LOL!

And on another note, we finally had our first glimpse of Fall. Yesterday the temperatures dropped from hovering near 100 all the way down to 85 and now today we are only in the upper 70's and it's slightly overcast and breezy. Fall is a wonderful reprieve from the unrelenting desert heat that consumes the months of June through September. What few trees we have will soon be shedding their green leaves as they turn the bright colors of gold, crimson and orange. Now, if we can just get my new found allergies under control, I can really enjoy the change in season.

1 comment:

Jennifer Larson said...

You're having a cold snap! I remember how grateful I always was when the heat finally started to dissipate. I know how glad you'll be for the "season" to start.