Saturday, May 31, 2008

Two years ago today

Jadyn Ashley entered this world and entered our hearts.

I remember when my water broke ON my due date. I told Joe, "I think I am going to like this baby, she is right on time!" Of course, what I didn't know was that my labor and delivery would actually take longer than it did with Jake and her birthday would therefore end up being the following morning. What I also remember (besides the broken air conditioning in L&D in 100+ degree weather) was how taken I was with her the moment she came out and they set her on my belly. I also remember that one of the first things I did once Joe had gone home to check on Jake and the parade of nurses and doctors were done in the room was dress my little girl up in pink and purple because after having a boy for the last 2 years, I was having trouble grasping the concept of her being my daughter.

And now here she is turning two - my baby no more but definitely my daughter. What I love most about Jadyn is probably also what drives me the most crazy - the stubbornness of wanting something her way, the independent spirit that won't allow you to help her until she has exhausted all possibilities of doing it herself, that spitfire attitude that often erupts in full blown temper tantrums. I love her hugs and kisses, quick but fierce and repeated often. The way she turns every statement into a song, mothers her babies and stuffed animals, looks up to and mimics her big brother with a love that can only come from siblings and makes silly faces or does silly dances just to try and get you to laugh. And how infectious her smile is with a crinkled nose and a glimmer in her eye that can melt your heart every time.

When children turn one you often look back on the year and reflect on how much they have grown physically and how much they have changed developmentally - milestones like crawling, walking, first teeth and solid foods come to mind.When children turn two you look back on the year and reflect on how much they have learned and how much their little personalities have blossomed into their own unique self. Jadyn knows her shapes, is starting to learn colors and letters and can count to 10 in both English and Spanish. She knows the words and sings many classic childhood songs and some offbeat ones she learned from Kindermusik too. She loves to dance, she loves to color and she LOVES Dora the Explorer and Care Bears. She could eat rice, pasta, yogurt and fruit all day never missing meat, veggies or bread and in another life she must have been a fish because she loves the water - whether is is bath time or pool time. She speaks in full sentences and can tell you who her friends are at school. She knows what she wants, when she wants it and she will let everyone know if she does not get it. That's my girl - my drama queen, my sweetpea, my daughter.

And so on this day, the second birthday of my second child, I celebrate everything that Jadyn has become and everything that is still to come. The twos do have there unique challenges (although I personally do not like the term terrible) but they also have there unique rewards and I know Jadyn will embrace both with the headstrong attitude and girly-girl charm that is uniquely hers. Happy Birthday Jadyn!

At the hospital in her pink and purple:

Five days old (one of my favorite newborn pics):
On her first birthday:

A couple weeks ago (love this photo, had not found a reason to share it yet):

Outside before Jake's promotion ceremony:

3 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Jayden!!!

Maria said...

What a beautifully written recollection of jayden's life. Happy Birthday Jayden!

Kaycee said...

AW Happy Birthday Jadyn!! I loveeeee the pics. She is adorable.