Friday, May 16, 2008

Looking Ahead to Fall

One of the things I like about my online community of friends is that unlike most of my friends and family in real life (and this is no offense), they too think about and plan way ahead in the future. Monday was the last day of Kindermusik for both the kids. Here they are in their last classes playing under and on top of the parachute:

Next week Jadyn will have her awards ceremony marking the end of the school year at the YMCA and the following week, Jake's preschool will have a graduation ceremony as well. While I try to keep things "light" during the summer, we will be doing swim lessons again, as well as remaining active in our playgroup. However, there are many decisions to be made for the coming Fall. As you may recall, Jake is in preschool the next town over because he was not fully potty trained at the beginning of the school year. Since he has been fully potty trained since November, I am seriously considering sending him to the preschool here in town, within walking distance from our home. While I love everything about his current school, it is very hard to justify driving there 3 days a week (which is how often the 4 year olds attend), especially when a) the price of gas keeps rising and b)it significantly eats time for me to do other activities and errands while he is at school. So long story short we are going for an orientation at the local preschool very soon. Assuming we decide to move him there, Jake will probably have to start school in August, since those doing the summer program have priority over everyone else and it is pretty competitive to get into this school. Jadyn will then most likely move up to the 2-3 year old class at the YMCA, "Tiny Tots" and attend on the days Jake is at school - Monday, Wednesday, Friday. That is assuming they hire a teacher to replace the one leaving and that I like what the new teacher chooses to do with the program. Furthermore, other decisions will have to made as well. Jake is eligible and very eager to play sports this year with soccer starting in September. Since I really don't want to overextend their structured activities, he will most likely not attend Kindermusik next year. And Jadyn will most likely only continue with music class if the time of the class works out, which would basically have to be after Tiny Tots on a day Jake is at school. Wednesdays we still have play group, only Jake will be in school on this day now so it will just be Jadyn and I most weeks AND depending on the time of the play date, I might have to leave early to pick up Jake from school. Are you still with me?

I am sure everything will fall into place - and the good news is that it looks like the kids and I will have Tuesdays and Thursdays to ourselves, which I think will be a perfect balance for our week. Now would anybody be surprised if I said I was already thinking about next Christmas or where Jake will attend kindergarten in 2009?

***ETA - Before I had a chance to publish this post we already went for orientation at the local preschool and although there were several things I prefer at his current school, there was nothing that should prevent me from sending him to this school, which have I mentioned is walking distance to and from the house. Jake is #2 on the waiting list and should have no problem getting in and just to be safe, I put Jadyn on the waiting list for 2009 (LOL!). Jake was ready to stay there today and a litte disappointed when I told him he couldn't but I guess that is a good sign that he will adjust to the change just fine. Now if somebody can just help me adjust, not only to changes like this but to the fact that my babies are not babies any more. Sniff-Sniff!

1 comment:

Karla said...

I LOVE it!!! lol I sooo think ahead like this too!!! I am already thinking about what to do with Devin for Kindergarten since our town currently does not have public K!!!! LOL