Sunday, May 11, 2008

Back to Reality

And this is our reality; two kids who think this is what it means to go to bed, that OUR bed is their bed. LOL! But we addressed this topic already.




The fact of the matter is that I know I am a good mother to my children but I don't feel I have been the BEST mother to them lately. And some of my favorite posts from fellow mommy bloggers have been those that are most candid. The ones that don't try to paint everything as being happy and perfect all the time. For me, it has been more of an adjustment going back to working from home than I probably realized because even though it is now much easier to find the time to work (kids play together and independently and are on a much more consistent sleep schedule), I have been taking advantage. I have not been spending as much quality time with the kids when we are at home. Trying to get my migraines under control, I started taking the Topamax which did seem to help but gave me too many side effects including irritability that I know affected my disposition with the kids when patience is already a precious commodity. I have been lax about keeping to our routines, which has affected the kids behavior and then to make matters worse, I have not been consistent with discipline. So, I am making some Mother's Day resolutions to take the time to get back on track, spend quality time with the kids doing activities that they enjoy at home but need my supervision or assistance to do and ensuring that I have no regrets. Because they grow so fast and I want to know I spent as much time witnessing that growth, helping to shape the people they will become in the most positive of ways. I know I do that now - we all have moments of insecurity about our parenting. But I don't think that is what this is about. This is a realization that just because they can play independently for long periods of time does not mean they don't crave and need me to be right there with them. And I can think of no better place I would rather be.

So here are my Mother's Day resolutions:

1) Computer time (work related or other) is restricted to before the kids wake up, nap time and after they go to bed or designated times when Joe is home to watch them.

2) Follow our routine to include educational activities, arts/crafts time and outside time every day, especially days without structured activities like school or play dates.

3) Work on having both kids fall asleep on their own in their own beds at a reasonable bedtime.

4) Work on weaning Jadyn off the pacifier.

5) Reread 1-2-3 Magic and consistently apply to both kids for discipline.

6) After a morning cartoon while I shower, the TV is off for a majority of the day. Jake has his video game time during Jadyn's afternoon nap and Joe and I can watch our shows after the kids are in bed. After all, that's what TiVo is for. LOL!

I will be sure to keep everyone updated on my resolutions.

And speaking of Mother's Day, here are some pics from this weekend. It is final really hot here so Joe blew up the kiddie pool and the kids had a blast filling it up and splashing around. Joe helped with my Sunday chores, including going grocery shopping with both kids (brave) and then made his yummy chicken fajitas for dinner. He also got a super cute Mother's Day card that the kids colored. All in all a very nice day.

This was Jadyn on Saturday night wearing Daddy's shoes. She really is quite the ham. I could see her being the class clown when she gets older. She is always making silly faces and trying to get us to laugh:

Filling up the kiddie pool (we might be putting up the big pool this next weekend):


And after dinner Joe got this shot with me and the kids, ON THE FIRST TRY if you can believe it. I am always telling the kids I want to get the perfect picture and they are getting to the point of cooperating more willing, realizing it will make the process quicker but now after we take a picture they ask, "Perfect?". Jake has been doing it for awhile now but after taking so many pictures in Carlsbad last week, now Jadyn is saying it too - pretty funny.
I hope all the mommies reading this also had a very nice Mother's Day. My recent revelations made it all the more special as I love being a mom more than anything else in the world.

3 comments:

Kaycee said...

Aw don't beat yourself up! Cami still sleeps with us and i'm sure it will be that way for quite a while, but it's okay because like you said it's a time to bond.

I have limited my time to naps only as well. It's so pretty outside now that I want to spend every last second with her while she is awake. :)

I LOVE LOVE the last picture of you 3. It is "perfect" :) Happy Mother's Day!

Maria said...

I agree- reading blogs of those who have days like mine help me feel better too. I can relate to the quality time issue too. All we can be is the best we can be, and it looks like we do a pretty good job. Happy Mother's Day!

-Bridget said...

Happy Mother's Day! I need to make some of the same resolutions you did. But you should know you seem like a fabulous mama. We all have opportunities to do better and I appreciate you sharing yours. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there like that but know that your children will appreciate reading about your struggles later and we can all benefit from it as well. Thanks for keeping things honest.