Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Spoonful of Sugar

Helps the medicine go down or so the song says. Well today poor Jake had had the hiccups for at least an hour when he asked me for medicine to make them go bye-bye. When I told him there was no medicine for hiccups, he then prompted me to go the store to get more. So it occurred to me that some people swear by a teaspoon of sugar. When I presented it to him, he gave me an odd look and then took a little taste with his tongue, to which he responded with a wide eyed grin, "Yummy" he said enthusiastically. I then explained that he needed to take down the entire spoonful if we had any hopes of it actually working (as opposed to just having him hopped up on sugar). He complied and attempted to swallow the entire teaspoon full, however it was quite the task and in the process he started laughing at which time little puffs of not yet wet sugar started spewing out his mouth. Of course this made him and me by extension laugh even harder, which resulted in more puffs of dry sugar dust. In the end, he swallowed the sugar and we had both had a good laugh, the kind that makes the corner of your mouth continue to curl up in delight long past the moment itself.

And by the way, Jake has not hiccuped since.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Great story :-) Was it the sugar or the laughing, do you think, that cured the hiccups??!!

LauraC said...

That is always my remedy for hiccups! In fact when I was pregnant, Nate got hiccups ALL THE TIME and it drove me crazy because I was *slightly* uncomfortable already so I would eat spoonfuls of sugar to see if it would stop it. Didn't stop it in utero. The sugar still tasted good though.