Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Funny Nose Knows

#7 Hard Work

Jake is so used to hearing me say I am working when I am on the computer that when he had a small accident the other day and I asked him why he did not go potty on the toilet he replied, "But Mom I was working on the computer trying to find the Backyardians Road Race game!" I could do nothing but laugh and honestly he has had maybe 3 accidents total since being potty trained last November so I really cannot complain. He was working after all.

#8 When she is Really Mad

So you know how sometimes you don't realize you say something until you hear your child repeat it. Well I still don't think I tell the kids I am mad. In fact I am pretty sure I am careful to avoid that word using upset, sad or frustrated instead. No matter where it came from, one of Jadyn's new favorite phrases is "I am really mad" when something does not go her way. Sometimes she will say she is REALLY REALLY mad. The other day I was reorganizing her room and I tried to combine her Dora toys with Jake's Diego toys (which Jadyn likes to play with). She told me they don't go in there and removed all of them. So I got a separate basket and put the Diego toys in there but apparently that was still not acceptable. She came out of her room and exclaimed that she was really really mad. When I went back in her room the basket was empty and the Diego toys were strewn all over her room. I guess she was not approving of the change in location.

#9 Ad Campaigns

We all know how much Jake loves Nascar and he watches the races weekly on TV. That also means he hones in on the commercials involving Nascar drivers, which seem to be numerous since the brands sponsor their cars with huge logos all over them. One commercial that has been on a lot lately is Carl Edwards, #99 advertising Claritin. Well Friday we are at Wal-Mart when Jake spots a display of Prilosec with a picture of Jeff Burton and the #31 car to which he exclaimed "I want to be Claritin Clear." Joe and I almost fell over laughing because although he had the wrong product, Jake was rattling off the ad slogan for Claritin from the commercial with Carl Edwards.

#10 To be a Gracious Loser

One thing we have been doing a lot lately is playing board games. Jake got Chutes and Ladders from Santa and the kids got Candyland from the Easter bunny. I have very fond memories of playing both games growing up. Well the first time we tried to play Chutes and Ladders, it did not go so well. Besides the numbers going right to left and then left to right, Jake also seemed to have trouble with the concept of getting sent up the ladders but down the chutes. When I won the game, he cried and cried and acted like a very poor loser. I took the opportunity to explain how sometimes we win and sometimes we lose but we have to accept both and the game is still fun to play no matter who wins. Candyland seems to be easier for him but he likes to play both games now, lately on a daily basis. Whenever he wants to play he will say, "Mom (or Dad) I will be so happy if you beat me!" It's as if he has to remind us that if we agree to play he will be a gracious loser should he not win.

On a side note and going back to his love of Nascar, one of Jake's favorite drivers is Kasey Kahne. Well the other day while we were playing Candyland, Jake drew the candy cane and yelled, "Mom, I got the Kasey Kahne!". Talk about obsession.

#11 How to Do it All by Himself

I know Jake is way late on this one but he has suddenly decided that he wants to do everything by himself. If you try to go into the bathroom when he is doing his business he will say, "No Mom, boys do it by themselves" and he is FINALLY showing interest in dressing and undressing himself with no help. If you try to help he says, "I do it by myself". This was something I should have encouraged a long time ago as Jadyn is already wanting to do things for herself but Jake has been happy to have me, if not insist that I do things for him. I guess it probably has something to do with him being my first child.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Okay, this addition of a Funny Nose Knows had me rolling--well written :-) And I can't get over how much Jake has GROWN!! It goes too fast.