Friday, August 19, 2011

Our Beach Day



While Joe would be perfectly happy spending all of our free time during the summer at the river, I need to go to the beach at least once. I love, love, love the beach. Yes we lived there for 3 years and I never fully took advantage but nothing can beat the sound of waves crashing on the shore, the smell of the ocean air or the feeling of fine cool sand under your feet. The problem with the beach (and I felt this way when we lived there too) is that it doesn't quite get as warm as I prefer as often as I prefer. However, when you are looking for a reprieve from the sometimes stifling summer heat of the desert, sometimes an overcast day at the beach can be a welcome change.And that is exactly how we spent our Wednesday. (yes I doctored the blue sky in the above picture. I couldn't help myself)

Every year the kids grow more and more fearless of the water, tackling the waves and venturing further and further out into the water. It always strikes me, the indication that my babies are growing up.

They started off running from the water on the shore:

But that quickly progressed as they adjusted to the ocean water:

And as they got braver and braver and deeper and deeper:

They inevitably crashed with a wave or two:

But they got right back up with a smile on their face and kept going, eventually to pose for these pictures:

Even after they had enough of the water, we stayed and played in the sand, all four of us building (or at least attempting to) a sandcastle. It was very relaxing and much enjoyed family time.

And what better way to wash away the extra sand then going for a swim in the hotel pool after spending hours at the beach?



We capped off the day with dinner at one of my favorite restaurants that we haven't been to in ages, The Old Spaghetti Factory. The food was delicious and Jake surprised me by eating some of a plain salad (yes, Jake ate a vegetable besides carrots) and gobbling up their famous spumoni ice cream for dessert. The perfect end to a great day. I only wish we had gotten down to the beach more than once this summer.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I could use some time in that top picture, pronto!

LauraC said...

This is why east coast beaches rule. WARM WATER.