Saturday, August 27, 2011

Entertainment Meme

I FINALLY watched the last few movies nominated for an Academy Award. It used to be my goal to watch all the movies before the Oscars but that was a) before having kids and b) before they changed the field from 5 to 10 nominees. Now here it is the end of August and I have just now finally watched all 10 films. Here is my own personal subjective order to which I would rank the movies:

1. The Social Network - still my favorite movie of the year.
2. The King's Speech - and no doubt that Colin Firth deserved his Best Actor nod.
3. Black Swan
4. 127 Hours
5. The Kids are Alright
6.The Fighter
7. Toy Story 3
8. Inception
9. Winter's Bone - not a fan of the movie but loved Jennifer Lawrence. No doubt she will make a great Katniss in the Hunger Games movies
10. True Grit - not a fan of westerns, but my issues with this movie went further than that. Still Haylee Steinfield did an amazing job with great support from Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. I would have given Haylee the best supporting actress award.

Two movies I would recommend, not only because they are good but their recognition for acting was well deserved - Blue Valentine with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams and The Town with Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner.

Please feel free to chime in with your opinions.

2 comments:

DesiDVM said...

Amazingly I've seen 9 of these movies without even trying LOL. Still haven't seen "The Kids Are Alright." I think they should go back to just 5 movies, some of these films (hello, "127 Hours") were good but not really Best Picture good. If I had to whittle it down to 5 it would be (in no particular order): The King's Speech, The Social Network, True Grit (I LOVED this movie even though I don't like Westerns), Toy Story 3, and Inception.

Karen said...

I haven't seen all of these movies but agree with your assessment of True Grit. I did see The Town and loved it!