Monday, December 8, 2008

Hungry For More

Well that was short-lived. I started reading Hunger Games on Tuesday night and finished it Saturday. It was extremely engrossing and left me wanting more. I would recommend it to anyone who liked the Twilight series but be forewarned. This book just came out and is set up to be a trilogy so expect some cliffhangers and be prepared to wait until Fall of next year before the next installment comes out.

Which leaves me in quite a quandry because what do I read now? I have thought about starting the Harry Potter series, since they have many of the same fans as Twilight but I am just not sure. The movies never really interested me. A lot of those who read the Twilight series moved on to other vampire fare, but I don't think I really want to go in that direction.

I am open to suggestions.

And speaking of Twilight, I recall in my review of the movie mentioning my dream of the sequel getting a new director. Well apparently it was not such a outlandish request because it was announced this week that Catherine Harwicke and Summitt could not reach an agreement and she will in fact, NOT be directing the sequel. That was great news until I started reading who they offered the job to, the fact that they STILL have yet to decide to keep Taylor Lautner as Jacob (the one actor from the first film I was most impressed with), that the expected budget is only 50 million and that they want to churn it out for a November 2009 release date. It might take a lot of restraint, but if I don't feel confident they can do a decent job with this, I might just have to refrain froms seeing it. Messing up Twilight is one thing, but New Moon was my favorite of the series. It really is sad that they can take such a wonderful series with a huge built in fan base and completely ruin it because they want to make a few extra bucks. Don't they realize that the franchise is a cash cow regardless and will actually do much better, if they take the time to remain loyal to the book and give us a quality film?

No comments: