Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Funny Nose Knows

#30 How to Decorate the Christmas Tree

Growing up we had a family tree with all the decorations that had been collected and made throughout the years and I loved it. However, once I was married and in charge of my own tree I yearned for a tree with all matching decor, which is what I have done for the last 10 years. Now that the kids are getting a little older, they want to help decorate the tree and have started to accumulate their own collection of ornaments with special meaning. The solution? We bought the kids a 3 foot tree and placed it in Jake's room, where they could take all our family ornaments and decorate it by themselves. Here is the result:


And for the record, we do have a system for decorating the family tree too. Joe puts the hooks on the ornaments and hands them to the kids, who get to deliver them to me to place in their designated spot on the tree. Not much fun, I know. I think in the next couple of years, I will probably give in and go back to the way the family tree was growing up. It just has so much meaning and charm that way. But I will miss my Martha Stewart coordinating decor.

#31 How to put on the thinking cap and use their senses.

None of the preschools or parent/child programs in the area have caught on to the concept of a sensory table. So I decided since we cannot use the water table during the winter, I would convert it to a sensory table. I found a list of great ideas at ChildFun.com.

Today, the kids and I took the fall leaves we had collected at the park last week along with a few more from our neighbor's tree and a few rocks and I dumped the loot into the empty water table with a set of plastic dinosaurs. Then I gave the kids each a shovel and a cup and told them to find as many dinosaurs as they could. I really did not know what to expect but they had a blast with the activity. Afterward, we counted the dinosaurs and talked about their different colors. I think they had me hide the dinosaurs at least 3 more times and then they started hiding them on their swing set and sandbox too. They really were quite entertained. I foresee us having a lot more fun with the sensory table this winter. I am hoping to get motivated to dye rice for our next adventure.

#32 How to take a trip down memory lane.

Or I could have titled this one "How to please his wife" but I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I do have family that read my blog. Anyway, Joe has been at Camp Pendleton for the last 2 days for work and on his way home last night he picked up a White Pizza from Sonny's - a personal favorite dish and place to dine when we lived there so many years ago. And it didn't matter that it had to sit in the car for the 3 hour drive home, it was the most delicious, heavenly pizza I have had in ages. Once again, Joe delivered. And it was nice to have him home again too.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I don't think you should give up your Martha Stewart tree. I think you should just another big tree and do a family tree as well. Then again, I love decorating Christmas trees and would have one in every room of the house if we had room.

London said...

Hey, I did see the movie, it was kind of okay, I guess. Hopefully they'll do a better job with New Moon. Oh and I'm totally getting the soundtrack for Christmas. (Listening to Supermassive Black Hole online right now!)