Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Month End Report: July

To pay homage to the roots in which this blog was created, I thought I would add a monthly summary of what the kids and our family have been doing, more similar to the monthly updates I would provide on the kids websites. Here ya go!

Jake: For some reason, Jake always has this learning explosion that occurs every summer. It was the summer after his second birthday that he finally started singing his ABCs, it was the summer after his third birthday that he really started talking in sentences and this summer has been no exception. With the help of Letter Factory and Hooked on Phonics, Jake is now learning to sound out words and recognize them and he can write all the letters of the alphabet as well. He has been obsessed with coloring, drawing and practicing his letters all summer. It is truly amazing - not only that he can do it but that he shows such a love for it.

As I had mentioned briefly, Jake is playing a summer t-ball training league and is really enjoying himself. He is working very hard to improve his throwing and catching skills, but when he is up to bat - everyone better look out cuz he can knock them out of the park. Then he beams from ear to ear as he runs the bases (although he often cheats by cutting corners, LOL!)

Here is a pic of him at first base after hitting a single (I promise to take and share more pics of him playing t-ball at a later date):

I also signed Jake up for an additional session of swim lessons, since he missed quite a few days when he got sick in June. He is now in the next class up and can almost swim completely on his own, definitely with a life jacket on. He has also FINALLY gotten over his fear of jumping off the diving board (something I am frankly still afraid to do).


Jadyn: This is such a fun age to continue to watch her little personality emerge. She still is quite taken with her stuffed animals, baby dolls and little people. The other day, Joe caught her putting a couple of little people in time-out. She also loves to "cook" elaborate meals for everyone with her kitchen and accessories and puts all her babies to sleep. Taking a cue from Jake, Jadyn has also been learning her letters and astonishingly, her letter sounds as well. Since the YMCA let out in May, she has mastered her shapes, and colors (save for black and white maybe). She also has been very interested in coloring and drawing, especially stars. She is obsessed with stars. If I hear Twinkle Twinkle one more time. No wait actually it is so cute I almost never get sick of it. She also continues to play dress up - not actually the clothing part but she loves accessorizing; sunglasses, hats, purses, necklaces, bracelets, shoes. She always looks so cute with the combos she comes up with:
I just wish she would get over her newly acquired aversion to dresses. Every time I try to get her to wear one, she cries, "No dress, I want shirt!" She did however wear a dress to a birthday party Saturday. The trick? Mommy wore a dress too!

Last summer, my friend Jen decided that Jadyn would become an Olympic swimmer after seeing her take to the water like a fish during swim lessons. Now I believe that she will compete in the Olympics someday, but I am convinced it will be in track and field events. Jadyn loves to run. She will actually ask to go outside, just because she wants to run. She runs up and down the sidewalk on the side of our house and demands that we start her off with a "Ready, set go!". She gets in position and places her arms like she is a superhero ready to make a mad dash, her grin spreading from ear to ear as she yells, "ZOOOMMMMMMMM".

The family/The events: As you all know, July was a busy month. We spent the 4th of July with my family, celebrated birthdays with Joe's family the following day. I went to Palm Desert for Deanna's bachelorette party and then took the kids to visit my old friend Marilyn. We finally got to go to an Angels game and spend the weekdays busy with play dates, t-ball and swimming (whether in the pool or our yard during a summer rain). I got myself hooked on a new series of books and we all got in on the action of our new WiiFit.

Here are the kids enjoying a summer rain storm:

Somewhere in there, we encountered another first that I had not found the opportunity to blog about: I took the kids bowling with our play group. It was really fun and both kids seemed to enjoy it.



So with July behind us (where did the time go?) and August promising to be just as busy (t-ball, weddings, river trip, school starting), I am confident that there will be plenty of blogging material, both for the kids and myself. Until then, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and finding ways to stay cool.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

Wow, lots of fun things!! Looks like yall are making the best of the summer time :)