Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fitness Update

This is blog post is more to keep myself accountable then anything else, hence why I am blogging on a Saturday. I really, really, really want to meet the goal of walking/running 500 miles this year. Right now I am at 129 miles when I should be closer to 160.

Now that Kuma is fully vaccinated, he can go for walks around the neighborhood. I found a really nice walk along a trail in the empty field next to our block that is approximately 1.5 miles. If I continue to run at least 3 miles 3 times a week and take Kuma for a walk at least 4 times a week, I should be able to walk/run about 15 miles a week. That is my new goal. And I am still trying to strike a balance with some kind of strength training but it seems that every time I try to add it in, I get really burnt out and unmotivated and everything goes out the window.

The last 2 weeks prior to spring break was really hectic trying to prepare for Jake's birthday, Easter and still go about my every day workload, ballet, baseball and Kuma's puppy classes. I know I have said this all before. So, to try and lower my stress level I told myself that I didn't have to keep up with my workouts if I didn't have time. I still managed a few here and there but not at the same consistency they had been. Then the last several days I have been in a funk and I couldn't pinpoint why. I felt that unnecessary anxiety creeping up on me, found myself obsessing about things I hadn't worried about in a long time and was just generally very blah.

So, priority #1 this fine Saturday morning was to go for a run. I did 3.5 miles, came back and got Kuma and took him for his 1.5 mile walk totaling 5 miles. And you know what? It felt great. I realized that not only do I want to walk/run for fitness but I really need it for myself. Mentally, it makes me feel much more clearheaded and stronger.

I still haven't figured out the strength training. I think instead of trying to go balls-out with Jillian Michaels, I may try to add yoga or Pilates instead. It is probably going to take a lot to find that balance and I am okay with that for right now. Having the kids home all day during the summer and the heat, they will present their own challenges too. Right now I kind of feel up to it. So bring it on.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Thanks for the encouraging comment on my blog. And you GO with the 5 miles. YAY! I hope we can both strike that balance. Exercise is not a natural desire for me, so I have to be careful to not burn myself out. I may pick Jillian back up with stage 2 here soon, or I might try some yoga or pilates like you may do. Let's keep "kicking each other's butts." Thanks!