Monday, October 26, 2009

Magoomba Monday #22

1) Jake's hernia repair surgery has been rescheduled for November 20th due to a conflict in the doctors lecture schedule. This is both good and bad news. The good news is that I no longer have to worry about him having surgery on Friday the 13th. The bad news is I will be out late the night prior to his surgery as that is the night of the midnight release of the Twilight Saga: New Moon (and yes tickets have already been purchased). I decided that even though I will be tired the next day, this is really good news too because it will be something to keep me distracted from unnecessarily worrying. Plus, Jake will have that whole next week off from school for Thanksgiving break, even though the doctor assured us he wouldn't need the extra downtime. So in the end, I think it is good news all around.

2) Speaking of New Moon, a couple of you had asked about the soundtrack from the movie and yes, I finally did pick it up. Although I wasn't not initially impressed, there are some tunes that I really like including Death Cab for Cutie's Meet Me on the Equinox, Band of Skull's Friends, The Killers White Demon Love Song and of course, Muse's I Belong to You. I still favor Stephenie Meyer's personal playlist for the book, which you can view and listen to here, but I understand what they were trying to do with the soundtrack and it is growing on me.

3) Last Monday we went to the pumpkin patch and I took a total of 166 photos to ensure that I got some really great shots. There will be a separate post with major pic overload forthcoming.

4) Tuesday, Jake's school had their annual "Lunch on the Lawn" event for the kindergarten class in which parents are invited to come join their students to eat lunch in the quad. Jake and I had quite a nice little picnic lunch with a few of his friends and their parents. It was a very nice relaxing time in which Jake and I got to spend special one-on-one time:


5) Jadyn and I on the other hand get plenty of one-on-one when Jake is at school and I took some of that time to get what I consider to be a classic shot of Jadyn posing with her baby pumpkins from the patch:


Jadyn has these funny little quirks like for instance, with this one particular baby pumpkin. I have them sitting out on our kitchen cart as decoration and every time I turn around it is gone. She keeps hiding it in our bedroom closet. When I asked her about it she explained that the baby pumpkin has pretending baby pumpkin friends in the closet that she wanted to be with. I really can't argue with that can I?

In other Jadyn news, this week she started coloring, and I mean really coloring. I sat down with her one day and showed her how I would go about coloring a princess and she took note and followed my lead. Now she is obsessed with coloring full pictures and not only does she stay within the lights pretty well but she has an eye for detail. Growing up I was never particularly artsy but I did love to color and particularly girls in pretty dresses because I loved to come up with color schemes for their outfits. I think that is a pretty evident part of my personality even now as an adult as I love to coordinate colors so it makes it even more special to me that Jadyn has apparently picked that up from me.

6) I just wanted to be clear that no, Joe has not fallen off the edge of the earth. He has however, been very busy between work and school. Last week he clocked in 40 hours by Tuesday (being called in both Saturday and Sunday of last weekend) hence the reason he was not able to go rock scrambling or to the pumpkin patch with us. On top of that he is nearing the end of his second session at school and has a 10 page term paper due this week. I am so proud of him for taking classes so he can earn his degree. Go Joe!

7) Saturday Jake had a soccer game and Grandpa Bob and Grandma Anne made the trek to come watch him play. He scored 2 goals and had an awesome assist during the game and when he was playing defense, I got some decent action shots, which will also be forthcoming. After the game we enjoyed a nice breakfast out with the grandparents and Jake was so excited that they were able to come see him play.

In other Jake news, he has decided that when soccer is over he wants to try and play basketball. While I played both soccer and softball growing up and Joe was big into baseball, neither of us play or watch basketball so this should be interesting. Not to mention the fact that Jake's physique does not really lend itself to the sport but, it is a nice gap filler between soccer and baseball season and Jake really likes to stay active and seems to love a variety of sports so we will just have to see how it goes. We might just be surprised.

Busy week ahead with Red Ribbon Week at Jake's school and plenty of spook-tacular Halloween activities planned. So I hope everyone's week is off to a wonderful and productive start!

3 comments:

Steph said...

My niece is having surgery to repair a hernia on that same day (11/20). My sister is a teacher, so the timing works out for her to have the next week off for break for Natalie to recover too. I hope Jake's surgery goes well.

The picure of Jadyn and her two baby pumpkins is adorable!

Carrie said...

awww love Jadyn with her two baby pumpkins!!!

Joanna said...

I'm still giggling over the pumpkin in the closet. It's the little things that always get me.