Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weighty Issue

I don't think I ever really went in to many details about the diet/lifestyle change I made this last year. Then again, until recently I had not really spoken too much about personal issues that did not directly involve the kids. I think that change signals a trend, not only in my blog but in my life as well. You see for the longest time I had little time in my life for anything that did not involve the kids. Most of my free time was spent working on the computer or watching an occasional TV show. Now with the kids older and more independent, I find that I have both the time and desire to have more things that are for me. I think it is a natural progression. Ever since I started reading again, it has somehow peaked my interests elsewhere as well, interests that were always there, just a little bit more on the back burner as I immersed myself in motherhood. Now I think I am striking a balance. More time for "me stuff" but still defined, and rightly so first and foremost as the mother of my children. Ah, but I have digressed so far from my point, which is SO insignificant in comparison to the epiphany I just shared.

In October of last year, Jadyn weaned herself at 15 months. I realized that while I was within 5-10 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight after Jake, this time around I was nowhere close. The weight simply had not come off from just nursing, walking and kind of watching what I ate. Now that I was no longer nursing, I could justify a drastic lifestyle change - I chose the South Beach Diet. From October to January (mind you through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) I followed the diet religiously and lost 15 pounds. In January, I started to cut myself some slack but still managed to lose an additional 5 pounds. I now consider the diet more of a lifestyle change. I limit sugar and white processed flour in favor of Splenda sweetened coffee and soda and whole wheat pasta, bread and tortillas. However, I also indulge in my favorite breaded chicken and oatmeal cookie ice cream on occasion. I have managed for the most part to keep the weight off. I highly recommend the South Beach approach. The first 2 weeks are hard but after that it is not so bad and I loved that you were never supposed to let yourself be hungry. It was just about making better choices.

I still have not gotten to my point. I just really wanted to share something I was really excited about but I guess I was a little embarrassed to be bragging about myself so I thought I should explain first. Anyway, Tuesday we went shopping and I wanted to get a new pair of jeans for Fall from Old Navy. Last year my jeans ranged from size 10 to 12 so imagine my surprise when the size 8 I tried on were too loose. I needed a size 6. Woo Hoo! That was a happy day.

My next goal is to get into better shape. I am never going to be supermodel thin or have a rocking body. I just want to be at a healthy weight and decent shape for my age. I would love to someday walk at least a half marathon if not a full (I have never been much of a runner) but for now I am just content to revel in my accomplishment.

Maybe I will wear my new jeans to my next girls night in tonight.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Wow Jen, that is impressive! Congrats on that. Good luck in any race, I too am planning to do a marathom in the next year or so. It is quite a goal and can't wait to hear of your success.

LauraC said...

You should brag on yourself! You go girl. All my size 4s are staring me in the face, hanging in my closet. I'm hoping training for this half-marathon will help push me over the edge, but the reality is that I spent a lot of time working out to stay a 4!

Aly said...

Congratulations! South Beach Rocks! DH and I have had great success with it in the past. I really should motivate myself and start phase 1 again.

Kaycee said...

Hey, you brag away!! That's fantastic. You should take a pic of yourself in your new jeans :P

I love jeans and cannot wait to get back into mine!!

BTW: Can you give me your email again. I got your questions ready for "talk to me Tues"

Steph said...

Jenn- that's so awesome! I'm impressed with your ability to stick with the changes and adopt such healthy choices.

-Bridget said...

That's awesome! Congrats to you!