Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fall Entertainment

I gave up my subscription to TV Guide when I had kids but since I have TiVo (and cannot imagine life without it), I still manage to watch my share of TV. And as far as TV Guide is concerned, I still splurge every year to get the fall preview issue and highlight the shows I intend to watch on their schedule grid. I have to say after last year's writer strike left the spring pretty sparse of new episodes, I am really looking forward to some of my shows returning and although I am not allowing myself to get sucked in to tons new shows, there are a few I am most looking forward to checking out. I am also really contented to see that my shows are fairly spread out throughout the week so after getting the kids to bed, I should have ample viewing material every night. And yes I realize that a good majority of the shows I watch are not very intellectually stimulating to put it politely. But I consider TV above any other form of entertainment my guilty pleasure. So here is what I will be watching this Fall.

Mondays - Dancing with the Stars (although not too impressed with the cast this year), Gossip Girl and My Own Worst Enemy (Christian Slater has still got it!). And we cannot forget How I Met your Mother (Joe and I watch that one together).

Tuesdays - Dancing with the Stars results, the new 90210 and Fringe. I am probably more excited about Fringe than anything else. JJ Abrams (Felicity, Alias and Lost) with Joshua Jackson (where have you been?). That is quite a yummy combination! I just hope that Jackson get a chance to put some of that Pacey Whitter charm I love into his new character.

Wednesdays - Private Practice and Lipstick Jungle. Lost will come back mid-season and Joe and I cannot wait.

Thursdays - Grey's Anatomy and ER (last season, boo!)

Fridays/Saturdays - Nada. It's the weekend!

Sunday - Amazing Race, Desperate Housewives (questionable, I am not sure about the new direction it is taking this year) and Brothers and Sisters.

So there you have it folks. I can feel brain cells dying as we speak. LOL! Now as for movies, Joe and I can count the number of times we (or should I say I) have been to the movie theater since having kids on one hand. However, there are a few movies coming out this fall that threaten to exponentially increase that figure starting with the most highly anticipated - the movie version of my new favorite book series of all time TWILIGHT! I am as giddy as a school girl about this one and not ashamed to admit it. I take one look at the trailer and my pulse starts racing as I swoon over Edward Cullen. I have even wrangled two unsuspecting accomplices (who haven't even read the books but I am working on that) to come with me to a midnight showing on November 21st. Looking past that however, have you seen the preview for Burn Before Reading? That looks really good. I love the Coen brothers comic fare and who can pass on a movie with Pitt, Clooney and Malkovich? I also really want to see Body of Lies with Leonardo DiCaprio. I don't think he has ever been in a movie I did not really like - even The Beach. Then of course the kids are already begging us to go to see the sequel to Madagascar.

This weekend we went to our little town's old school drive in to test the waters for future visits. The kids really enjoyed the atmosphere and fell asleep early into the second movie. I can foresee us making more trips in the future. It is something I have fond memories of as a child - watching the first, usually family oriented film and then falling asleep in the hatchback with my brother so my mom and dad could watch a good drama or action flick. It may not be the reclining stadium seating Joe and I got accustomed to in the OC but it's an economical and strategically sound plan to see some of the great movies coming out this fall.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I am excited about Fringe too, mostly because of Joshua Jackson!!! Yum!

Maria said...

Can't wait for Grey's and Private practice!

Karen said...

I wish you lived closer so we could watch TV together. I have many of the same shows on my TiVo too.