Sunday, December 4, 2011

Taking accountability to a new level

I mentioned that putting notes in the Advent calendar was going to keep me accountable for all the fun holiday activities I wanted to do with the kids and that was never more true than on Thursday, the very FIRST day of the calendar.

The kids had been asking for me to either buy ice cream at the store or take them for frozen yogurt quite a bit recently. I tried to explain to them that it wasn't really a regular cold-weather treat as it may have been during the warmer summer (and for us) fall months. So I got the brilliant idea to treat them to frozen yogurt as dessert on the first day of the Advent calendar.

What I didn't count on was that Thursday would be the exact day we would go from mild weather in the 60's to cold, windy and rainy weather - they were actually predicting the possibility of snow (we saw some flurries that day but nothing stuck). That night after dinner, I left it up to them and surprise, surprise - they still wanted to go out for frozen yogurt. So here they are enjoying their fro-yo in the freezing, rainy, windy weather while I ran into the Starbucks next store for a more normal winter treat - my new favorite holiday drink - a caramel brulee latte.


The next morning they found Jelfie in our candy basket, having eaten part of a peppermint patty.


This has turned out to be so much fun. They giggled, they talked to him about how funny he was and they were super extra careful not to touch him when it was time to get their own treat (to pack in their school lunches). While they were at school Jelfie moved to a more central location, inside Daddy's stocking. I am wondering for you Elf on the Shelf veterans what you do with your elf after the kids have seen his antics for the day? Do you keep him where he is or move him because we read the book and the kids know they can't touch him or he will lose his magic so I have to be careful that if I do move him, it is not in their presence.

I won't be posting pics of Jelfie's antics daily, maybe only the ones that are really clever (which means not many as I am not known to be clever, LOL!). Until then I remain, faithfully accountable.

1 comment:

Mel said...

The elf with the peppermint patty is too cute!