Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesday Tunes

As many of you know, in the last year I have taken up running. It has not come easily to me. Every extra minute or portion of a mile I manage to run without breaks has been hard fought and I am still slower than a penguin. However, I am beginning to actually like it. When I have to run on the treadmill (either due to weather or because I have Jadyn with me) I like to watch past seasons of Big Bang Theory but I really prefer getting to hit the pavement (and sometimes dirt). Especially now that I have finally found a course that avoids the huge hill we live on. On Saturday I managed, finally to run 3 straight miles on pavement. Finally.

I am all ready for my first 5K this Sunday. It really brings me full circle as this is the same event that I walked the half marathon for last year. Now I am running it, albeit only the 5K. Who knows, maybe next year I will be running the half marathon. That seems a long way off.

Anyway, I wanted to share my playlist. I have kind of an odd taste in running music, or so I have been told, tending to gravitate towards alternative. And it is very rare that a song makes cut after cut when I change up my playlist but I do have some old standbys (The Killers - Mr. Brightside will always be my go to song).

Cameras - Matt&Kim
You've got the love - Florence and the Machine
Starlight - Muse
Infinity Guitars - Sleigh Bells
Neighborhood #3 - Arcade Fire
Something is not right with me - Cold War Kids (also check out Louder than ever from them, maybe not for running but a really, good song)
Camera Talk - Local Natives
Boots of Danger - Tokyo Police Club
Howl - Florence and the Machine
My Body - Young the Giant (seriously, the lyrics as I am about to hit the 3 mile mark "My body tells me no. But I won't quit, cause I want more" I don't think he's talking about pushing himself to run further but it certainly worked that way for me)
Crown on the Ground - Sleigh Bells
Howlin for You - Black Keys
Dog Days are over - Florence and the Machine
Tell Em - Sleigh Bells
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Rock that Body - Black-eyed Peas
Electric Feel - MGMT
Spiraling - Keane

If you have a favorite running song that I should have on my playlist, please feel free to share!

7 comments:

London said...

Your playlist makes me feel really uncool. I don't know hardly any of those songs!

I don't run, but I do like to listend to my ipod while I work out, especially if I'm doing the 30 day shred. My current fave song is "When the Come For Me" by Linkin Park!

Lindsay said...

I am totally out of the alternative loop, but I did hear Dog Days are Over the other day and really liked it. I'll have to check some more of these out!

Karen said...

I was just listening to Electric Feel yesterday and I love Mr. Brightside. Probably one of my all time favorite Killers songs. I recently discovered the Black Keys and like them too. I get a lot of music from Gossip Girl!

Janna said...

Other than the Mr. Brightside, I have never heard of those songs. In my defense, I don't know how to get songs from the internet/cds to my mp3 player, so I'm still listening to the 45 minute mix that my husband made for me 5 years ago...sigh... BUT, it includes my two all time favorite work out songs - "You shook me all night long" by ACDC and "Dancing with myself" by Billy Idol. Just try to listen to those two songs without moving fast :)

Joanna said...

Dude, way to go on doing the whole three miles running. I had to fight long and hard for that too, so I know just how awesome it feels to finally get there. You should be really proud of the hard work and persistence that went into that.

As for the music, I have no idea what any of those songs are. I've done the exact opposite. I always listened to alternative music until I started running, and now I've been getting into pop to listen to while running.

Steph said...

Awesome job on the 5K! I will also admit I don't know quite a few of those songs, but a few I know. I love the Killers and have a few of their songs on my exercise playlists. Mostly for running I stick to hip hop or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Angela said...

LOL @ London, cause I don't know hardly ANY of the artists :-) Going to have to look them up though, always looking to change up the running list.

Right now I'm running to a pretty random mix of stuff--Linkin Park, some LP/JayZ from Collision Course, Pitbull, Three Days Grace, Apocalyptica (classically trained cellists turned Metallica tribute band turned rockers in their own right = AWESOME!), Rhianna, and a couple of tracks from the Eclipse score, because if picturing vamps running fast doesn't make you go, don't know what will. :-)

And oye, hills. I can not imagine. I would almost like a hill or two, because I have to drive an hour to work to work out on any sort of "hill" at all, and its a freaking bridge over the bay. Grass is always greener and all that :-)

And SERIOUSLY give yourself a break on the penguin cracks!! You are doing fabulous :-) I'm beginning to think no one is a natural born runner. The whole love-hate relationship does eventually give way to pure unadulterated love though, promise. Good luck this weekend, I am sure you will do fabulous!