Monday, February 22, 2010

Surprise!

I have so much to catch up on from our time in Carlsbad last week. Suffice to say it was a welcomed break and we had a really nice time.

As everyone knows, Saturday was my birthday. However after a week of of eating out, relaxing and getting to do fun things like go to the beach and Legoland, I felt I had done my fair share of celebrating with the family. Not to mention the mountain of laundry and work files that greeted me on my return. So my only plan for Saturday was to go out to dinner with my good friend Solinda.

Here are the kids and I before I headed out to dinner:



When Solinda and I arrived at Applebee's for dinner, I was kind of confused as she walked us straight past the hostess without asking for a table. But as we approached the main dining area, I was greeted by a table of my closest friends - Ali, Heather, Rose and Lyndsey (Maria came later). Solinda had planned a surprise birthday dinner!

I was truly shocked and very touched. No one has ever thrown me a surprise party and frankly, I don't think Joe could ever even hope to pull one off because I am such a control freak.

Of course, thinking I was just going to enjoy a nice dinner with Solinda, I didn't have my camera. But always thinking and knowing how much I like to photograph everything, Solinda had her camera and took pictures, which I will post later once I get them. We had a wonderful dinner, great conversation, a cute little pink and purple cake and some very thoughtful gifts including some new books to read, a Barnes and Noble gift certificate for even more books, a meal planning kit, Bath and Body Works set, a candle and the ingredients for a great family movie night. It was more than I could ever ask for.

Add to that the fact that Joe surprised me with a new phone - a Palm Pre Plus, which I am LOVING! Joe truly spoils me as he had already gotten me a 3 day pass to the Coachella Music Festival for April so I really wasn't expecting anything else.

All in all, it was a great birthday, especially considering I wasn't even looking forward to becoming another year older. No matter how you try to label it 50-14, 29+7, 40-4 or just plain saying 36 - I might be getting older but it also seems like life couldn't get much better so this old lady is not going to complain.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

36 can not be old because that's how old I turn next month!

Yay for Palm Pre, glad you finally got a decision. Although now I am trying to spend less time on social networking sites!

Heidi O said...

I will turn 37 this year so 36 seems so young to me! lol. Glad you had such a great birthday with friends.

Steph said...

Happy Birthday (again)! And, it sounds like it was fabulous! 36 is not old!!!

Mel said...

So far the 30s are a great decade for me (the first half)! The surprise dinner sounds like it was great!