Friday, September 18, 2009

Fall TV

What my TiVo will be recording this fall. Green signifies must see TV, yellow are for those shows that are new and only time will tell and the red shows are those that I am seriously considering cutting loose. I only want to be watching 10 to 12 hours of TV a week (and actually with the DVR to fast forward through the commercials it is really even less than that).

Sunday

Amazing Race (CBS) 09/27
Desperate Housewives (ABC) 09/27
Brothers and Sisters (ABC) 09/27

Monday

How I Met Your Mother (CBS) 09/21
Dancing with the Stars (ABC) 09/21
Gossip Girl (CW) 09/14

Tuesday

90210 (CW) 09/08
V (NBC) 11/03
Dancing with the Stars Results (ABC) 09/22

Wednesday

Modern Family (ABC) 09/23
Glee (Fox) 09/09

Thursday

FlashForward (ABC) 09/24
Vampire Diaries (CW) 09/10
Greys Anatomy (ABC) 09/24
Fringe (Fox) 09/17
Private Practice (ABC) 10/01

Friday and Saturday - nothing scheduled

So if you counted that up it totals 16 hours of TV. Out of those shows I am considering NOT watching, Dancing with the Stars tops my list simply because that is 3 hours of TV time right there. Not that I don't like the show but if I don't watch from the beginning, it will be easier to not get invested in who wins. Does the formula really change much from season to season?

A few general comments - once again the CW and Fox premiered several of their shows ahead of the other networks. This seems to work quite well because I was really planning on giving up 90210 but since there was nothing else new on, I watched anyway and got sucked right back into all the sleezy, cheesy drama that is this show. Also, out of the new shows I have already started watching, I am in love with the Vampire Diaries and well okay, no surprise there. I do seem to be unnaturally obsessed with vampires. But in all fairness, I don't read and watch everything about vampires. I hated True Blood and that seemed to become quite popular. I am not AS enthusiastic about Glee. The pilot was great but the subsequent two episodes that followed were just alright. I feel like the critics are really pushing for this one and I am not sure I personally agree that it is "groundbreaking". Finally, why do the networks feel the need to stuff Thursdays with so many good shows when clearly there are other days of the week that are slim pickings? Seriously, they moved Fringe to Thursdays against Grey's Anatomy. It's good thing we have dual recorders.

I have shaved off a lot of reality shows in the last several months and out of the dramas Desperate Housewives and Private Practice will be competing against each other to become the latest show dumped. If I just cannot let go of either of these two shows, then Amazing Race may have to go, because like Dancing with the Stars, how much has the formula changed? If I don't watch it from the beginning, I won't know what I am missing.

Comments? Opinions? Eye rolls at how much time I spent on this post? Feel free to chime in!

No comments: