Monday, July 13, 2009

Magoomba Monday #14

1) Last week after taking Joe's boss and family out to the river, we decided to have a little competition with ourselves to see how many different people we could take to the river in one summer. So far we have taken Scottie and Ali twice, my Mom and George and Joe's boss and family. This week we are meeting my brother and his family out at the river for the day and we have indefinite plans later this summer to take the Castillo Clan as well as two other families. If all goes as planned that would make seven. Anyone else interested?

2) As a result of my back injury (which physical therapy is going very well and I am feeling better,thanks for asking), the kids reached another milestone this last week. At the beach, we had no choice but have them shower because well, there wasn't a bathtub in the cottage. Taking the lead from their willingness to shower there, I started helping them shower at home since reaching over the edge of the bathtub strains my back considerably. While I would never completely give up on baths because it includes lots of fun water play for the kids, it is nice to be able to give them quick showers as well. This may seem silly but having them take a shower instead of a bath seems like such a huge sign to me that my kids are indeed growing up and no longer babies. It kind of makes me sad.

3) Furbaby update: The kittens continue to win their way into our hearts and make themselves an integral part of our family. Mambo (Jake's tabby cat) is a clown. She is constantly batting at your toes from underneath the bed, chasing her tail and making herself cozy in a basket full of clean laundry. She explores every crevice, every box, every piece of trash. I doubt it will be long before we start receiving presents she tracks down from the garage (bugs, field mice, etc.).


Jazz (Jadyn's chocolate point) is quite the little love. She is super cuddly and endures being carried around and squeezed for repeated hugs by both the kids.

She will come and lay on your lap and I must say both the kitties have made themselves quite comfortable sleeping either on Jake's bed with both the kids or on our bed when it ends being Joe, I and the kids. Yes it is crowded and I know the family bed can sometimes be a controversial issue but you know what? I can't imagine it any other way.

And of course both dogs, which are too old now to actually get on our bed without help, sleep on either side of the bed in our room. A few weeks ago we were concerned for Utah's health, as he is now 10 1/2 years old and stiff as board from all his orthopedic problems but for now it seems to have passed. It was a warning however, that his time left with us may be limited and so we cherish each day with him and make sure that his quality of life is our number one priority for him.

4) Yesterday we had a BBQ with Scottie and Ali and my good friend Michaela and her family. We have had several going away celebrations with them in the last few weeks but with them leaving for the Northwest on Tuesday, this was definitely going to be our last gathering and I have to say we had the best time ever as did the kids. We are so going to miss them and wish their family the best of luck in this next stage of their life. Here are a few cute pics we took of the kids right before they said their last goodbyes:




5) Finally we started a new session of swim lessons today. I am so excited for a number of reasons. First of all Jake and Jadyn's classes are both at the same time so for once I will not be sentenced to spending long mornings baking in the desert sun while they are in the pool. Secondly, both of their class sizes are significantly smaller this session, meaning they will get the individual attention they need to improve their skills. I am fairly certain that with a little bit of work, Jake will be swimming without assistance by the end of this summer and Jadyn; well I am just happy to report that her crying subsided after only 10 minutes, a huge improvement from last session.

Hope every one's week is off to a productive and great start!

1 comment:

rose said...

you know we are up for being used in making a record going to the river.... ;)
and cuddling with those kittens the other day makes me want to get another one. now i'm going to be making weekly trips to the pound. thanks.