Monday, June 15, 2009

Magoomba Monday #11

1) I keep forgetting to mention this but I finally slurped all my blog posts from 2008 into a book format and am in the process of editing so I can publish a copy to keep. I am really excited about it, however, I have to say it turned out to be more work than I was expecting. Blurb automatically formats all the posts exactly the same, which presents a few problems. Some of my posts are text heavy. Many of my posts are photo heavy. They don't all ideally fit in the same cookie cutter format so I have to go through each one and alter the formats for some. The other issue is with the captions I frequently affix to my photos. Well in the book format the text is one place and the photos are in another so I have to manually go back and correct the wording for all of those posts. At one point I thought it might easier to just save the html and input it to another publishing site like Lulu but since I didn't anticipate the problems I am having with Blurb, that would be a lot of work to go back and do so I am just sucking it up and editing. As of right now the book will be about 240 pages. That's a pretty good record for one year of the Funny Noses!

2) With both the kids each just having birthdays I don't magically expect them both to start developmentally appropriate behavioral issues for their new ages BUT Jadyn was already giving me a run for my money and with Joe gone their seems to be a little bit more sibling squabbling than my patience can handle. One quick glance over my discipline book of choice (1 2 3 Magic) to polish up on technique and consider each child's temperament and age and order is in the process of being restored. I cannot recommend that book enough!

3) Speaking of books, we went to our local library this past week and I signed both the kids up for the summer reading program. For every 5 books they read or have read to them, they get a prize and if they check out 30 books each before the deadline, they get to participate in a party at the end of summer. While I was there, I was happy to find Even June Cleaver Would Forget the Juice Box by Anne Dunnewold, which has been making the rounds amongst by blogging circle and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, which was recommended by another friend. As soon as I finish the June Cleaver book, I will definitely be writing a post about how I feel about the whole extreme parenting phenomenon and how the book has (hopefully) helped me to let go of some of my mommy guilt.

4) With the weather still unseasonably mild, I was able to take the kids to another local treasure we have somehow managed to overlook previously - The Big Morongo Canyon Preserve and Covington Park. What an amazing treat it was! It is yet another desert oasis, boosting one of the ten largest cottonwood and willow stream habitats in California. Translation: For the duration of the 3 hours we were there, it was easy to forget that we live in the desert. We were surrounded by huge towering shade trees with green everywhere, boardwalk trails with lush vegetation tickling your legs along the way and the sound of trickling water. This on top of the fact that right next store to the preserve is a beautiful brand new playground for the kids to play and climb until their hearts content. Now that we have visited the preserve, I am certain we will be frequenting it often.

5) On Saturday, Jake had closing ceremonies for t-ball, which was rather anticlimactic given that his last game was 2 weeks ago. However, it was nice to see all the Grasshoppers unite one last time in order to receive their trophies. Jake, of course was excited to add to what is sure to become quite the collection of trophies and metals throughout his adolescence. Jadyn just had to be in the picture. I guess it is a good thing she was dressed in orange!


6) After closing ceremonies, I had promised the kids we would stop by the shelter to visit the kitties. We have gone a handful of times lately but Saturday turned out to be different because a litter of gorgeous 7 week old kittens had just become available for adoption and they were all cute, cuddly, playful and litter box trained. So after spending an hour or so playing with all of them and assessing their little personalities, and of course getting Joe's blessing, Jake and Jadyn each picked out their favorite and we are now the proud owners of two new female kittens - a chocolate point named Jasper (Jazz) and a tabby calico named Mambo. We are introducing them to our house and doggies very slowly and the kids are super excited to have the baby cats joining our family.





7) Finally today is the first day of swim lessons. I am extremely nervous about how Jadyn is going to do being in the water without me for the first time but I am hoping for the best and preparing for lots of tears. Who knows, maybe she will surprise me.

Hope everyone's week is off to a productive and great start!

3 comments:

LauraC said...

I had heard the same thing about Blurb which is why I did Word format for my books. Let me know how it finally turns out!

Carrie said...

Ugh I am not looking forward to putting my blog into a book at the end of this year. Those kitties are just ADORABLE!! I got my cat 2 weeks before Nathan was born so they are ALMOST the same age. heheh!

Jennifer Larson said...

I wish we could do swim lessons with y'all this year!

I'd love to turn my blog into a book...can you tell me where to go to find out how to do this? And does it cost a lot?