Monday, April 7, 2008

Joining the fight


The following is a blog entry I wrote yesterday and saved as a draft as I pondered whether or not to share it with everyone. As most of you know, I also lost my father to cancer and this year will mark the 10 year anniversary of his passing. I have really been trying to find a way to celebrate his life and join the fight against cancer and I am now more determined than ever not to just talk and think about doing something but really making it a reality. Maybe sharing this, sharing how I feel and sharing how much I want to be involved will keep me accountable in reaching that goal.

Babycenter is among other things, an online community where parents can talk to other parents with children of the same age or with similar interests and concerns. It is through this community that I learned of a little boy who at only 2 months old was diagnosed with cancer. Over the last year or so, I have followed this little boy’s journey as he battled the disease. He fought. He went through so much in his short life and his strength was amazing. It was clear to see that he derived that strength from his parents, Ben and Becky, who were so open and willing to share their journey with so many of us as little Ethan Powell continued to amaze us, beating the odds, continuing to fight and touching our hearts daily. Every day was truly a miracle. It is with great sadness that I learned of his passing on Saturday. My heart goes out to his family, to Ben and Becky who I know will continue to make finding a cure their lifelong passion and to think how many people will be joining the fight with them, as I hope to as well, in the name of Ethan Powell who I may have never met but has touched me deeply and I will never forget. Life is truly precious. My little ones will be getting extra hugs and kisses today, as they should always. They are my light. They are my love. They are my world. Rest in peace little Ethan.

1 comment:

-Bridget said...

That was a very touching tribute to Ethan.