Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Four years ago today

Robert Jacob entered this world at the Naval Hospital here in 29 Palms. He was a week later than expected weighing in at 6 pounds 10 ounces. It was one of the happiest and most memorable days of my life.

Over the last 4 years I have witnessed Jake go through the normal developmental milestones but the real fun is watching his little personality emerge. And to that end, it has been a big year for our lil man as he started preschool and started to venture away from Mommy for the first time. He has really broken out of his shell - no longer the shy, timid, clingy child, he is very eager to make new friends and be a part of the world around him. I love to see him so passionate about his interests and I love even more that it is not just one particular thing that he is interested in. Jake loves race cars. I think we all know that. But he is also very athletic showing an interest in baseball and soccer. He loves riding his bike and has started to do tricks while riding it. He learns things quickly like his Daddy whether it is using a screwdriver to save his sister when she locks herself in the bathroom or navigate the mouse on the computer, he can watch and repeat almost anything he sees done. And although he is no longer clinging to me in social situations, I also love that at the end of the day, Jake is a cuddler - liking to give and recieve hugs and kisses by the dozen. I love that he is so protective of his little sister and that most of the time he wants her to play with him and wants to share with her. I love the way his eyes sparkle when he smiles. I love that he knows the words to songs simply because they are in the background to video clips of race car crashes. I even love the fact that at such a young age, he has become a backseat driver telling me if I have run a red light or turned the wrong way. I just love the little person he is becoming and I cannot wait to see what comes next.

So here is a photo trip down memory lane of one of my favorite pictures of him as a newborn. Joe took the shot when he was sleeping and he just happened to catch that smile. He was 5 days old.
First birthday:
2nd Birthday (with Jadyn just a month away from being born):
Last year turning 3:
Tonight getting the cupcake and song from Joe, Jadyn and I:

Kids birthdays are a funny thing. They are really just as much a celebration for us as parents as they are for the kids. Afer all, today marks a huge milestone in Joe's and I life too. The day we became parents. And it has been such a huge, wonderful, rewarding and challenging role to take on that of course we would take this moment to look at pictures of the day Jake was born, think on the first moment I held him in my arms, because it was at that very moment that he slipped into my heart. Happy birthday Jake!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Big Boy!! Looks like he had a wonderful birthday and I love seeing the pictures from birth. Give him some birthday hugs from us!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that kid has some great hair!! Love the baby picture ; )