Thursday, March 6, 2008

No more fizz

Sadness has struck the madam of the house at casa de Fenenoz. It just really is all so very unfair (can you sense the dramatics?). I was recently evaluated by a new neurologist for my every annoying migraines. The good news is that the doctor is amazing. He had a lot of insight into my condition and a lot of hope that we could reduce the number of headaches and dizzy spells I am curently getting. One of these hopes is in the form of a anti-seizure medication called Topamax, which was recently approved as a preventitive for migraines. I have to start off on a very low dose and slowly work my way up to therapuetic levels. Although I had researched the drug awhile back, I purposely did not go back and read every possible side effect as a did not want to experience any placebo effects (which if you ask Joe would be my tendenency).

Anyway, so I tell Joe yesterday that something is wrong with our fridge. All of my Perrier Sparkling Water and and Diet Cokes are flat. There is no carbonation. What could have happened? I then go to open a Diet Coke and hear the tell-tale sound of a can of pop that is definitely carbonated. Oh yes, that great wonderful sound and flavor. So I take a swig. Flat. I ask Joe to take a swig. He looks at me like I am crazy and reports that it's perfectly fine. Suddenly, it dawns on me - the Topamax! So I hurriedly Google the drug and browse through the side effects and sure enough it reads, "changes in taste have been noted, particularly with carbonated beverages". WHAT??????????????????????? I don't have a lot of vices. I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol. I have even given up sugar and processed white flour but now my one vice, my love of diet coke has been taken away from me. Unfair I tell you. On the other hand, once I get past the loss of fizz, Topamax is also noted for causing loss of appetite resulting in weight loss. That is one side effect I would not mind.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

Wow, that's pretty crazy! I'm glad your headaches are getting under control though. I was so addicted to diet coke and dr pepper, but havne't had one in almost 2 weeks!! AHH lol!