Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mommy Brain

When I was pregnant and would absentmindedly put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge I would blame it on pregnancy brain. When I had a toddler and a newborn and Jadyn was screaming at the top of her lungs as I frantically searched for her pacifier only to find it and try to insert it in my brother's mouth, I blamed it on the sleep deprived state known as mommy brain. But here I am with an almost 2 and 4 year old and I am starting to wonder - when does mommy brain go away?

With the weather warming up I decided to put the kids in short-sleeved PJs the other night. Jake immediately picked out a pair with race cars on it from last year. Problem was the pants were not hung up with the shirt. Hmmm I thought. Somehow, they must have ended up in the give away pile with other hand me downs. So I go through the trouble to bother my sister in-law who has a newborn and toddler of her own and ask her to please be on the lookout for the said pajama bottoms the next time she goes through the clothes I sent her for our nephew. The next day I find the pajama bottoms in question at the bottom of our hamper. It suddenly dawned on me that last week Jake had had his first middle of the night accident since with the warmer weather, he has been drinking more liquids. In my half awake stupor, I had grabbed the first pair of available pajama bottoms and apparently completely forgotten about it, even after seeing them missing from the said shirt a mere 5 days later. How could not remember that??? But wait it gets better. I take a shower yesterday, which is our usual routine. I lock the kids in our bedroom with an episode of Dora or Diego and a bowl full of Cheerios and leave our bathroom door open for me to supervise them. For some reason they were not behaving and I was rushed. I get out of the shower and come to realize I had only shaved one leg!!! Come on people. I really want my brain back.

No comments: