Tuesday, March 25, 2008

From Luck of the Irish to Easter Sunday in 7 Days

It was a very busy week. It started off with a very cold and windy St. Patrick's Day that was supposed to be spent at the park for a potluck picnic with green food and green clothes. But the weather had different plans. When I tried to explain to Jake that it was too windy he was obviously disappointed and wanted to know where "his boys and girls" were. So I took him to McDonalds. Not my first choice but they have the indoor playground. I was hesitant. I actually have not taken him back since December 2006 when he climbed to the top of the tunnel got scared and forced me to climb up after him while my mom held Jadyn (who was 6 months old and crying for her mommy). Of course at this point, I was not really so concerned about Jake as much as Jadyn but with big brother there, she just followed him along and they had a blast:


At home, we took a few more pictures before heading out to music class:


And then while Daddy made dinner, we worked on a couple of crafts we still had for the green holiday:



Jake had made this hat in school the week before:




Stay with us folks - that's only Monday!!! Of course, Tuesday was our big trip to Sears for professional pictures. We all know how that turned out (good right?). Wednesday our super group of mommies and kiddos got together to celebrate all things spring for a small but festive Easter egg hunt at the local park on base. Jake is starting to get to an age where he remembers things from the year before so he dove right in and was immediately excited to hunt for eggs:

This is his new pal Andrew, who unlike most of his other friends is actually a year older than him.

This is Jadyn's friend Aden. Like her other friend Skylar, she knows Aden not just from one activity but from several - YMCA, Kindermusik and playgroup. So see, I am not the only mom who likes to keep her little ones social calendar full.





Here is Jadyn investigating the candy in her basket. This is another dress of cousin Madison's, which is completely adorable. I find that most of the dresses I like best on Jadyn actually used to be Madison's.
Now we arrive at Thursday. This is the BIG YMCA Easter Egg Hunt at Luckie Park. We are talking 60 kids and over 600 eggs plus parents. Here they are waiting patiently as Miss Lisa explains that they can each get 12 eggs. On your mark, get set, go!



Okay, I do not know what Jake was doing with his shirt in the background, flashing someone his bellybutton?




Friday was supposed to be a day of rest but of course Jake's Scholastic book order did not arrive until then so I had to make the trek to his school to pick it up (because the books were for their Easter baskets, which by the way they both love the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If you Give a Pig a Pancake" series now). This lead to a trip to Wal-Mart for a few last minute goodies and during the mayheim that inevitably ensues when you are checking out of a busy store with two kids, I got distracted and left my wallet at the checkout. Yikes! Of course I did not actually realize this until much later that evening. Once I realized it and retraced my steps, I called Wal-Mart who was able to ensure me that they had procured the said wallet and had it stored safely in the cash box. Phew! Diaster diverted.




Saturday evening we dyed Easter eggs. Boy was that a 3-ring circus. I was atually trying to dye eggs myself as I had gotten a glitter egg dying kit:





So the kids (namely Jadyn) went to town, putting eggs in every bowl and then when they ran out of available bowls, they just put more eggs in the same bowl. At one point I am pretty sure Jadyn had 3 or 4 eggs in the pink dye.
Then on a whim, she decided to taste test the pink dye, which I had put vinegar in for color vibrancy. Yummy! By the time we were through, you literally could have swam on the table they were dying eggs on. Here they are posing with the finished results Jadyn was peeling all the eggs because she thought there was chocolate inside:





I am determined next year to dye eggs the Friday before Easter because I spent a fair amount of time scrubbing their hands, chins and yes tummies (it soaked through their shirts) to remove all the dye for fear it would still be there on Easter morning.

So finally we arrive to Easter Sunday. I was so excited to have the kids wake up and wade through their Easter baskets full of goodies - Jake got some new hot wheels, including a couple that pop open when you crash them and a new game for his handheld Leapster. Jadyn got a little purse with wallet and fake credit cards (so she can stop playing with Mommy's) and an Elmo doll that you feed and burb. Like I said it was more like Christmas and I know I went overboard. I will have to speak to the Easter bunny before next year especially with it being so close to their birthdays.They also got some new Color Explosion markers and paper and the aforementioned books.



After getting ready we drove to Joe's Grandma's to have Easter brunch. My favorite holiday meal complete with carnitas and chicken, "garbage", fresh avocado, tortillas, fresh fruit salad and mexican pastry bread. Joe's sister and her family were there with their newest addition as well as the rest of Joe's family.

After eating, we immediately retreated to the garden for the annual easter egg hunt where the kids gathered candy and coin containing eggs and other assorted trinkets to add to their ever growing collection. By the time we were through, the kids were quite tired. It had been a long and eventful day full of good food and good company and we just feel so incredibly blessed. I like Christmas but I love Easter. There is just something about the spring and its symbolisim of rebirth that awakes ones spirit. And let's face it - the clothes are cuter. Speaking of which, Leigh and I both had on the same dress. Not planned, we both just have really good taste. LOL!

Jake with cousin Aliyah. They always have so much fun together.

Dadddy helping Jadyn with the easter egg hunt:
Jake needing no help at all:

Racing the rocks:
Playing amongst the poppies:
Family photo:
At home, one final shot of me and Jake:
Hope everyone had a nice Easter!

***ETA: That was not a typo. Garbage is a garnish similar to pico de gallo with lots of cilantro. Not sure where the name came from but I will be sure to try and find out.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Love the photos!! (Especially the Bunny Ears Revisited--its AMAZING how much our may babies have grown!)

-Bridget said...

I love the pictures! It certainly looks like everyone had a great week!

Kaycee said...

Wow lots of pictures! The kids look like they ahd a blast and you look great! Love your dress!