Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kind of Magoomba

I was going to do my usual weekly Magoomba post but then I realized it would be extremely redundant. Things are really busy as so many things are about to come to an end - preschool, the regular school year for Jake, baseball and spring ballet. Meanwhile, we have Jadyn's birthday this weekend and are already looking ahead with sign-ups for summer swim lessons and fall soccer already happening in the next few weeks. And I found a group of dog owners that meet at a park every morning between 7:30 and 8:30am for doggy play dates so I have started taking Kuma a few days a week. Like I said, busy. But a good busy.

Between Kuma's puppy classes and baseball, our regular Friday family movie nights have been virtually non-existent until this last Friday. We watched Coraline and even though I really liked it, I have to say it was pretty scary. Jadyn wasn't a fan and this is coming from a girl who likes Harry Potter and Avatar.

Baseball is going better. The machine has been a little more consistent and Jake finally seems to be getting the hang of it. The last two games he went 1-2 but he hit the ball all 4 times and to me that is an important step.

Saturday after Jake's game, we went down the hill to run some errands, taking turns going into stores so that we could take Kuma with us. As a treat for their patience (both the dog and the kids) we went to Civic Center Park. I have mentioned this before, but this is a really cool park because they kind of have it all - bike paths, a duck pond, playground equipment, splash area and it's dog friendly. Still with all that, the kids favorite activity is running around the amphitheater. And Kuma really, really wanted to run after all the ducks and birds. We had fun.

Here are the kids relaxing in the shade after running around. Nothing like some genuine smiles:


And Kuma looking on as the kids fed the ducks and birds by the pond:


With all my TV shows winding up their seasons for the year, the only finale yet to air is Glee, which will be on tonight. Nothing to earth-shattering on any of my shows except I could kill ABC for canceling Brothers and Sisters without giving it a proper series finale after 5 seasons. ABC seems to be the worst offender when it comes to not giving shows notice and it is exactly why I haven't started watching any of their new serialized dramas. You get invested, they don't give the show a chance and after the season is over, usually with a cliffhanger, they cancel them. And even though I agree it was time for Brothers and Sisters to say good-bye, you would think with an established show they would have given them the notice necessary to shoot a series finale. Grrrr.

And with less TV to watch, I have had more time to read. I just re-read Mockingjay, the third and final in the Hunger Games trilogy and I liked it much more the second time. I think I really rushed through it the first time because I wanted to see how it ended and because I had two people waiting to read my copy. I still think Suzanne Collins hurried through wrapping things up after the action ended but it was still a pretty satisfying conclusion and I have been keeping tabs on all the casting news for the movie. I think it has the potential to be a really good movie franchise.

Oh and the cats have been busy. With spring in the air, they have been catching all kinds of critters, lizards, mice and desert squirrels but they both covet to catch the pigeons that unfortunately like our roof. Both of them stalk the birds from the windowsill but the other day they were doing it together and I thought it was super cute:


So that's all for now but their will be lots to report in the next few days as we prepare for Jadyn's preschool graduation Friday and her birthday party Sunday. So if you don't hear from me before then, hope everyone has a great Memorial weekend.

No comments: