Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Getting Rid of Sugar Bugs

So everyone knows how apprehensive I was about Jadyn going to the dentist to have her cavities filled. Part of that apprehension comes from my own dislike of the dentist. I had to have my first cavity filled at the age of 21 and nearly hyperventilated when it was time to get the numbing shot.

The other reason for my worry is because, although I don't think I've talked about it very extensively on my blog, I had been going through a really rough stage with Jadyn. She had been challenging me at every turn. I could say the sky is blue and she would argue that it was red. She would say she wanted toast for breakfast and then cry uncontrollably because she really wanted yogurt. She wanted to wear sundresses every day, even though it was only 50 degrees out. I would try to compromise by suggesting leggings and a sweater to go with it and she would protest stating that then she wouldn't look pretty. She defied me every chance she got. She whined and complained about everything, especially in the car where she knew I was trapped and could do little to appease her. If she could drive me this crazy on any given day of the week, how was it going to be taking her to the dentist to do something even I would cry about if I could?

Well the world works in mysterious ways and just when I was fearing the worst and not knowing how much more I could take, Jadyn surprised me. I am not saying she wasn't nervous or that she didn't complain or cry but it was manageable and we made it through. The staff at the pediatric dentist really know what they are doing. First they put really cool zebra striped sunglasses on her to help with the glare. Then they applied the magic jelly to numb the area for the fairies to come put her mouth to sleep (she never even saw the needle). When it was time to actually take the sugar bugs away, I'll admit that she did cry. Unfortunately there is no way to explain away the unnerving sound of the drill but the staff talked her through it the whole time and the dentist got the cavity filled in lightning quick speed. The trip was finished off with princess stickers and the chance to pick something from the treasure chest - a pinkie ring with a dolphin.

But is was the rest of the morning and afternoon that Jadyn really blew me away. Since we were in "civilization" I was hoping to run some errands while down there and Jadyn was both patient and helpful while we shopped at Kohl's, Joanna's Crafts AND Sam's Club. We capped off the day with frozen yogurt (Jadyn's new favorite) and a very un-whiny drive home. For some reason this day seemed to be a turning point in Jadyn's development AND our previous tumultuous relationship.

You see I read these series of developmental books and they give a title description of each age and this year for Jadyn it was "Your 3-year-old. Friend or Enemy". And that is exactly how I have felt for the last several months. That she is either Mommy's best friend wanting to cuddle with me and play with me and help me around the house but then her alter ego would emerge at the drop of a hat and no matter what tactic I employed, she was defiant and whiny and wanting to challenge me at every turn. We were enemies budding heads constantly.

Of course, in reality the change did not happen overnight with one magical trip to the dentist but I swear it seems in the last several weeks, there has been a dramatic shift to where it seems like 90% of the time, Jadyn is Mommy's best friend. And every day I find more fun things to do with her, things that Jake was never that into and things that I know were favorites of mine as a young girl as well. One day last week, she sat and colored for hours, meticulously picking color schemes for numerous puppies and princesses. I'll admit to having sat down and colored right along with her. It was so much fun. Then the other night she wanted me to paint her nails and I lost track of how many thanks yous and hugs I got for making her fingers and toes so sparkly and pretty. And the fact she seems to actual enjoy shopping with me? Major bonus. I can finally see all the advantages of having a girly-girl in the house.

And even though we seem to have worked through the bumps of this developmental phase, I would not kid myself to believe that it will all be smooth sailing from here. In fact, I fear that part of the reason Jadyn and I clash so much is because we are so alike. I seriously dread the teenage years with her. But for now, I am happy with where we are at and where we are going because in 2 months Jadyn will be turning four and you know what the title description is for that age? "Your 4 year old. Wild and Wonderful". I can't wait.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

He he he he...That's really all I can say because that's just where I am with Michael. It's like all the sudden they just start being pleasant. You don't know quite when it happened, you just find yourself really enjoying spending time doing stuff together, when a few weeks ago you were on edge every moment.

I'm glad she did so well with the dentist. It sounds like you guys have found a good one.

Steph said...

I am not there with Cooper yet, he's still in the 'enemy' stage... I am ready for that to be over and hopefully it is soon. It's wearing me out!

So glad that Jadyn's appointment went as well as it did and that you were also able to have an enjoyable day together!

LauraC said...

I needed to read this because Nate is my worst enemy right now and he is dragging me down. We're on the wonderful part with Alex though.

Carrie said...

"Your 4 year old. Wild and Wonderful"? That doesn't sound all too bad... maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for us ;o)- Just wondering what is means by wild, though. heheh.

Heidi O said...

Ours is an every other day. or week. But it is with the older two. Max and Maggie take turns. I do enjoy the helpful Maggie instead of the screaming Maggie that is for sure. I really hope the screaming one goes away.

DesiDVM said...

Whoever came up with that title "Your 3 Year Old, Friend or Enemy" was right on the money. J is my best friend, my favorite companion some days. Other days...he fights with me over EVERYTHING. And he's taken to saying mean things every once in awhile like "I don't love you anymore" and then he'll suddenly feel bad and say "I really do love you, Mommy!" Aaaargh. I look at the baby and go "You'll never do this to me, right?" hahaha, to think we're going to go through this all again in a couple years LOL.