Monday, November 23, 2009

And then there was one

For those who don't follow me on Facebook, rest assured that 1) New Moon was amazing and 2) Jake's surgery went well and he is recovering nicely. I will have more to say about both subjects later in the week.

However, a very unfortunate thing happened in between all this excitement and stress. I got the call from the hospital Thursday afternoon with Jake's surgery time - check in was at 7:15am with a surgery time of 8:45am. Being that we are 2 hours away from the hospital, this meant leaving our house by 5am and I wasn't planning on getting home from the midnight premiere of the movie until at least 3am. So no sleep for me that night.

While e would have liked to have kept the cats as strictly indoors, between the dogs and the kids and the fact that we have a doggy door, it was nearly impossible so we settled for trying our darnedest to get them inside at night, which we almost always do. But, Mambo (Jake's tabby) never came in Thursday night and I am very sad to report that we haven't seen her since. Since she is microchipped and we combed the surrounding area for her, we have no choice but to assume that it was the work of a coyote.

We all extremely upset. Poor Jazz spent the whole weekend looking nothing short of distraught trying to figure out where her sister was. We broke the news to the kids Saturday morning when it became clear that something was wrong. We didn't hide anything from them and I think they understood. They were saddened but not inconsolable. I of course, balled my eyes out.

I took these pictures of the kitties hanging out in Jake's car storage baskets on Tuesday night:


So there is not much left to do except to be extra careful that Jazz comes in before nightfall. When we lost our kitty Skittles 4 years ago in similar fashion, we hoped it was just a fluke but now we know it just isn't safe and so we won't be getting any more cats while we live in this house. Mambo was a wonderful, loving cat and I am so glad that she got to be a part of our family. She will be missed.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

So sorry to hear about your cat! And I hope New Moon was everything you hoped. All the reports I've read said it was fantastic.

Joanna said...

I'm so sorry. It's hard when you lose a kitty.

We've gone through our share of kitties, but the worst one for me was our big, dumb, orange tabby. I was outside playing when two older kids from across the street called over to me. When I got there, they pointed to a mess in the road and asked me if it was my cat. It was. They weren't trying to be mean, they were just being boys, but that is really not the way to break the news to a little kid.

*Kc* said...

Aw. That brought tears to my eyes. I'm so so sorry. I know your kids were very attached to their kitties. {HUGS}

Carrie said...

Aww! I love cats and now I am sitting her crying over your loss. :( So sad! I will be seeing New Moon this weekend and I can't wait.

Steph said...

So sorry to hear this news. We only had one cat growing up and he insisted on being and indoor/outdoor (he adopted us and was very set in his ways). More than once he ran away, but each time he to our family until he got cancer and had to be put down.