Monday, April 20, 2009

Magoomba Monday #5

Things have been crazy around the Funny Nose household, pretty much as expected.

1) Jake started playing t-ball last week. Because his team got a late start, we packed in 3 practices last week in preparation for opening ceremonies and his first game this last Saturday. But you haven't even heard the best part yet. His team manager needed some assistance and due to my increasingly unhealthy need to have as much information as possible, what started out as an innocent offer to help turned in to me becoming the assistant coach. What's even better is because of the limited free time his team manager has, I have already attended a coaches meeting, picked up and distributed uniforms and fund raising materials, copied and passed out the schedule and snack roster and had the responsibility of managing in his absence at the game tonight.

Now some of you may be surprised to hear this, but despite having kids of my own and loving them dearly, I am not exactly a "kid" person so being put in charge of 10 rambunctious 5-7 year olds is not exactly my idea of fun. And still some others of you may be surprised because I doubt I come across as the athletic type and I am really not. However, growing up I did play both soccer and softball so I am not completely ill-equipped for such a task. Despite the amount of work I have had to put in, I do find myself enjoying being involved and volunteering my time. It's nice when you can see that you have made a difference.

Here is Jake with a few of his teammates before opening ceremonies. I just thought all the kids looked adorable in their uniforms:

Here is all the pomp and circumstance of a Little League opening ceremonies. Jake and his team had their hats over their hearts and then Jake quickly covered his ears because he thought they were going to fire off the gun, which they didn't:

Jake and "Coach Jenn" after our first game. I have had to teach Jake that he can question Mommy why but not "Coach Jenn". He then asked if I was done being coach for the day and when I said yes he asked why:



2) We had Jake's 5th birthday yesterday at the bowling alley. It was a striking success. All the kids had a blast bowling and it was really nice having it somewhere where the entertainment was included. I got really antsy yesterday morning because I felt like I didn't have enough to do. Basically I just showed up and decorated the tables that were already set up. It was super stress free. It also just so happens that the mom of a friend of Jake's from school is a pastry chef, so I asked her to design and make cupcakes to fit in with our Star Wars theme and they turned out really cool, not to mention delicious. Definitely not South Beach friendly but I had to have one for myself. This is just a preview of the pics and tales from Jake's party. I will have a separate blog post later this week with much, much more!

The family before heading over to the bowling alley:

3) Jadyn has been acting like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute she is this super sweet preschooler singing songs, making jokes, telling me she loves me and just generally being cute. The next minute she is clingy and whiny and purposely defiant for no apparent reason. I think part of the problem is the nap/no nap issue stemming from no longer having the paci. I also think it is partly just a normal developmental stage.

4) I feel like I am never going to catch up! I still have so many stories and pictures to share on my blog but with t-ball now taking up 3 days a week for the next 2 months, I feel like I am never going to have the time. I figure its better to have blogging material and no time to blog then the other way around.

5) Spring was really weird again this year. It went from cold and windy, to warm and windy to just plain old hot. I know we may not have seen the end of the mild temperatures (at least I hope not) but having the temps in the 90s this weekend was yet another reminder that summer is just around the corner.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their spring as well.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Sorry about the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing. We've been having that issue here as well. It sucks.