Monday, March 30, 2009

Magoomba Monday #3

Oops. I never intended Magoomba Monday to replace an entire week of posts. I just got really really busy with some projects and never found the time to blog last week. But never fear - all is well on the Funny Nose front.

1) Things are very well in fact. Joe is finally home after spending 4 out of the last 5 weeks in North Carolina. And he will be home for awhile, thank goodness.

2) The projects I mentioned - organizing and preparing for both kids birthdays (its just easier to order for both at the same time), spring cleaning, FINALLY ordering photos from the last year and yard work. With Joe gone so much lately, I took on one of his usual tasks and hula-hoed (if that is even a word) and raked 75% of the yard as well as pulled a multitude of weeds along the fence line. Out here in the desert, we may not have a lawn or landscaping but you wouldn't believe how much better the yard looks with no weeds and freshly raked dirt. Now I am sore in places I didn't even know existed.

3) I made a trip to the library to research some subjects that have come up with the kids lately. And when I say kids, I am mostly referring to Jake but obviously his interests and vocabulary rub off on Jadyn. Those subjects include what the words dead and dying mean, religion and giving them a head start on becoming financially savvy. Whew! Can you say heavy? Why do they have to grow up so fast?

4) Despite the emergence of some pretty heavy subjects lately, I am still in love with this stage of parenting. The kids are now old enough to be in our completely fenced front yard riding their bikes, blowing bubbles or drawing racetracks and letters with sidewalk chalk while I watch from the kitchen while preparing dinner. I am just in love with all this outdoor time and warm weather.

5) With our first free Saturday upon us, the Castillo Clan, Scottie and Ali and the kids and I went for a hike up in Joshua Tree. We went to the southern border of the park to check out an area known as Cottonwood where the wildflowers are already blooming. We ran into a problem when we couldn't find the 1 mile loop we were planning on taking and decided to explore a longer trail. In the end, we hiked Mastodon Peak, a trail which totals 3.6 miles and takes you to an elevation of over 3000 feet. While this would be perfectly fine if it was just us adults, it presented certain challenges with 4 children under the age of 5. I have to say however, the kids did awesome, we all enjoyed the hike and on top of seeing wildflowers blooming in oranges, yellows and purples, we also got an amazing view of the Salton Sea. Pictures will be coming soon.

I am going to try my best not to stay away the entire week again. Frankly, there is just too much blogging material to pass up!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Michael uses the word "dead" but he hasn't figured out what it means yet. I'm hoping it takes a while before he figures out that it's not like sleeping.