Sunday, August 16, 2009

Magoomba Monday #17

1) Let's talk about the weather for a moment. We have had a very mild summer for the southwest desert of California. Sure we have had our share of heatwaves with temps easily reaching 110 and beyond but normally there is little break from this in July or August at all. This year, however we have had two cooling trends giving us temps well under 100 for stretches lasting up to a week and this was after the coolest June in 29 Palms history (or maybe at least just in the 6 years we have lived here). Add to that the fact that we are entering the later portion of August and have yet to have any summer rainstorms, something which has come as an immense disappointment to the kids. Weird. It makes me wonder what the fall and winter are going to be like.

2) I know I sound like a broken record when I mention that as much as I love the coast, I can do without the cool temps, high cost of living and overcrowding but this last trip really made me realize something. Over the last 6 years, we have truly come to love the Morongo Basin. I simply cannot deal with the crazy drivers and constant traffic throughout most of Southern California, not to mention the high number of rude people who are always in a hurry and quick to assume their business is more important than yours. I like the slower pace of the desert. I love that we don't even have regular traffic reports on the radio. Say what you want about 29 Palms, but at least we are not crowded.

3) One thing I did love about our beach trip was that I finally got to connect with a friend and former colleague from the real estate company I worked out when we lived down at Pendleton. We shared a fabulous dinner with Jim and Melanie at one of my favorite restaurants, Sonny's Pizza and Pasta. The only thing was that Melanie and I had so much to talk about, it was hard to decide between indulging in great conversation or great food and our time together went by too fast. We will definitely have to get together again the next time we are down that way.

4) Also while down at the beach this last week I got most of the kids back to school shopping done. While it was nice to have everything within a short driving distance, I again could not get over how crowded everything was. Whoever says our economy is tight and consumers are not spending certainly wasn't in Old Navy with me Saturday when the line went all the way to the back of the store!

5) Can I also just say that I simply cannot get used to hearing people "talking to themselves" while walking on the street or roaming around Kohl's? I realize everyone has a bluetooth nowadays but is this some form of multi-tasking or a status symbol to show how busy and popular you are? I have friends but I don't feel the need to chat with them about random gossip while I am shopping for bath linens.

6) This trip also made me realize what desert/river rats the kids have become when exclaiming the beach too cold to go swimming. All they wanted to do was climb the rock jetties. I can't wait for it to cool down here so we can hit up Joshua Tree again this year. It's going to be so much fun. I kept saying we were going to the beach and in the 4 days we were there, we only spent 2 hours at the beach and maybe another hour in the hotel pool. Any other time I mentioned water activities to the kids, they claimed it was too cold. Secretly I was glad because I happened to agree. Here are the only two decent pics I got of us at the beach.

Jadyn and I after digging in the sand:


Jake on top of the rock jetty:


And I have to throw in this one of the kids in the hotel room. I thought it was cute that they had the WHOLE couch and had to sit right next to each other. Is it because they love each other so or because they both wanted access to the Cheez-Its on the table? You decide:


7) I know I have been talking about back to school for awhile now but this is our last week of summer. Despite the fact that on many levels, I am glad we will be able to get back into a routine, I am also mourning the loss of freedom that school implies. At least when Jake was in preschool we still had a few weekdays to do as we pleased. I loved being able to take the kids to the zoo or hiking or shopping on days that are less crowded. Obviously now that will no longer be an option because Jake will be in school 5 days a week. I fear I am going to miss him being gone so often. Does that make me sound like one of those crazy smothering moms?

8) So this is a big week for us. Thursday is Joe and I's 11th anniversary. On Friday to mark the occasion the kids are going to stay overnight with Scottie and Ali so we can go out on a proper date. Jake has only spent one night away from us and that was when we were in the hospital having Jadyn and this will definitely be a first for her. I know they will do just fine and am quite looking forward to Joe and I having a night to ourselves. Also on Friday, in the afternoon, Jake has his Kindergarten orientation and we will get to meet his teacher and fellow classmates and see his classroom and help him get acquainted. Should be interesting.


And although I know he seldom if ever reads my blog, best wishes to Grandpa Bob, my father in-law who celebrates his birthday today.

Hope everyone's week is off to a productive start!

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Hope you enjoy your last week of summer! My boys complain the pool is too cold when it is 85, so I know what you mean. Plus so cal beach water is really cold!