Monday, August 24, 2009

The last days of summer

The last days of summer were spent at the pool, in our pool, at the park, at the park again, at the splash park and visiting cousins Madison and Ethan with our big finish on Friday when the kids spent the night with Scottie and Ali (more on that at a later date) so Joe and I could celebrate our anniversary (what could be better than an evening of shopping, dinner at the Cheesecake Factory and catching a late night showing of the hilarious summer hit "The Hangover"?)

Thursday the kids and I decided to check out the new splash park on the military base. For some reason it was a much more successful outing than when we visit the one out in town and I cannot figure out why. The kids insisted on wearing their goggles so the water could splash them in the face without getting in their eyes.









Friday was Jake's Kindergarten orientation when we got to meet his teacher and see his school and classroom. Jake was very outgoing, social and talkative, almost to a fault. I know he was excited but he kept interrupting his teacher to tell her things like, "I can read words", "I can spell - stop is spelled S-T-O-P", "coyotes live in the desert and they stay up at night so we keep our cats inside". Even more surprising was that when the teacher asked the students to sit down on a rug and listen to a story and sing a few songs, Jadyn decided to join them and was almost as outgoing as Jake was. She may not know it, but she is definitely ready to start preschool next week! The orientation was exactly what I need to help calm my nerves.

Here Jake is at the entrance of the school posing with the class lists and bus schedules:


The other big news this last week is that Jaydn started swimming short stretches underwater. It makes me a little sad that with summer ending, she won't have too much more pool time to improve this budding skill but I am so proud of how much both have accomplished in the water this year.

So stay tuned because I have a post about Jake's first day of school on deck for tomorrow. And if you are just too impatient to wait and see our little guy on his first day, you can look me up on Facebook. Until then.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow! She is ding great in the water! And, I can't wait to hear about the first day of K!

Joanna said...

I love that splash park. I want one. In my back yard.

I'm so glad to hear that orientation went well. I think it's great that Jake was so excited.