Friday, February 20, 2009

A Funny Nose Knows

#31 The Facts of Life

It took awhile for the kids to start questioning where the cat was when we finally made the decision to put Smokey down in October of 2007 but eventually Jake saw a picture of her and inquired as to why she no longer seemed to be around. I tried to simplify things, being that he was only 3 years old at the time and basically said something to the effect that she was far far away up in the sky in heaven and that she would not be coming back. He seemed satisfied by this answer. Well, the other day we were watching the slide show of pictures that comes up on the computer and a picture of Jake and Smokey popped up. Jake's eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "That's the cat that is in outer space!". I looked at him, a little confused at first and said, What? Where did you say the cat was?". He confidently replied that she was in outer space. It took me a minute but I finally realized that when I had tried to explain what had happened to Smokey, that this is what Jake had taken away from our conversation. That Smokey was in outer space. Let's face it, you have to laugh at the way little kids minds work.

#32 Gender

The other day I was videotaping Jadyn opening her Valentine package from Grandma and Grandpa so I could send it to my Mom. As she was pulling out her little goodies I made little comments about her treasures. Well as she was opening a pack of stickers I said, "Oh Boy! Look at that" to which Jadyn replied, "I am not a boy. I am a girl." And you know what, she is absolutely right.

#33 How to Celebrate

While at my age I normally do not make a big deal about my birthday (who really wants to get older?), we normally have a quiet special dinner or maybe a small get-together with family. However, when I turned the big 3-0, we had just recently moved here to 29 Palms and I was 7 months pregnant with Jake so we really didn't commemorate the milestone. Therefore this year I am turning 35 and to top things off, Joe is getting ready to spend 2 solid weeks on the east coast for work SO I decided to give in and really celebrate my birthday. I won't go into details about our plans for this weekend because that would spoil the fun of blogging about it next week BUT I did want to warn and apologize in advance because the next several blog posts are most likely going to be a little me-centric and I feel a little indulgent about it. But just a little. Not enough to stop me. So sorry in advance!

#34 How to Get Too Big Too Fast

On my recently mentioned shopping trip, I bought some spring/summer clothing for both the kids and quickly realized how fast they are growing. Jake can no longer wear toddler sizes. I have to shop for him in the Boys department (sniff, sniff) and to my surprise, Jadyn needed certain pieces of clothing in a size 4T. I had them both get the scale and Jake is weighing in at 39 pounds and Jadyn is 29 pounds. When did they get so big????

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Happy birthday!

LOL about the cat in space.

Jennifer Larson said...

Happy birthday! You are beautiful!

Also, if you're freaked out by how big your kids are getting, think how I feel! William's wearing a lot of 4s already, and he's not even three years old yet...

-Bridget said...

I can't wait to hear about the birthday celebrations!

Outer space cat? That's awesome@