Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Funny Nose Knows

#25 What makes him sick.

At one point last week when Jake was puking all day, he begged Joe to give him something to make him feel better. Joe tried to explain to him that their was nothing he could do as he had caught a bug and would be over soon. He told him to just try and hang in there and gave him as much comfort as possible.

The next night at dinner, Jake was talking about how he gotten sick and was glad to be feeling better. He went to tell us that he ate a bug and it had made him sick. Apparently, he had taken Joe's words a little too literally.

#26 What makes him bigger and stronger.

In attempt to get Jake to eat more fruits and veggies, I had recently used an episode of Dora to my advantage. In the episode, they go on an adventure to get the super babies the banana baby food they need to be big and strong. I use this to convince Jake to eat bananas, something he likes but will usually not choose to eat over other foods. One day, I used this technique successfully and he polished off an entire banana and then inquired, "Am I 5 now?" Apparently he thought the results were instantaneous and accelerated age as well. Then one day at school, Jake was pointing out another child at school, the one who goes by the name of Big Jake. He is significantly taller than most of the kids in Jake's class. While pointing him out to me Jake announced, "That is big Jake. He eats A LOT of bananas!".

#27 How to reach a compromise.

I finally figured out that if I put leggings or some other type of pants on with Jadyn's dress, she will wear them without a struggle. Luckily this look happens to be in style and it has been a good way to make use of some of the summer dresses she rarely got the chance to wear, especially since the weather is cooler but not yet cold. I just don't mention that she is actually wearing a dress. At this point, what she does not know won't hurt her.

#28 That distraction can be a good thing.

I remember in August when I read the entire Twilight series in a week. I added a countdown to the movie, which at the time was over 90 days away. I have been so distracted by recent events, I have not even had the time to be impatient about the movie coming out and now the time has come and I am so excited. Myself and two friends are going to a midnight showing tomorrow night, me donning my Twihard sweatshirt. I am hoping the theater won't be too packed with screaming teenage fans (it is after all a school night). I think the movie, while never really being able to live up to the book, is going to be really good and I will be swooning over my favorite stupid, shiny Volvo owner.

#29 How to be supportive.

Can I just say that I have the best husband in the world? He really stepped up to the plate while I was sick, enduring days of work compounded by the children's needs, household tasks, errands I would normally run and running Jake back and forth to preschool the next town over. He was my shoulder to cry on as I spoke of my frustration and worries and always had the attitude that no matter what life was going to throw at us, we were in it together. It was the most potent reminder of why I love Joe so intensely, why he is the love of my life, my partner and best friend and the man who I not only celebrated 10 years of marriage with but hope to celebrate many more to come. Thank you honey, I love you!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

#29 - He sounds like a keeper.