Friday, June 20, 2014

Jake's First Track Season

As I have mentioned before, Jake decided not to play baseball this spring. We were well aware of this possibility as he had a rough time last year adjusting to being pitched to by fellow players. He over-thought the process, got extremely nervous and no longer enjoyed playing. Still, it was a little sad to see this chapter close as he had been playing baseball since he was 4 years old. I remember being in the dugout on the last game of the season and snapping this picture of Jake knowing it might be the last time I saw Jake in baseball uniform. I know. I know. I sound overly dramatic but to heck with it. This picture carries a lot of meaning for me.

IMG_2576

But I digress......

So no baseball for Jake. He was however, at the grade level where they first allow you to compete in the school district's track program. He was reluctant, but I told him I wanted him to try it this one season and if he really didn't like it, I would never make him do it again.

Sometimes, mother does know best because guess what?  He really, really enjoyed running track.

The first track meet of the season he ran all the events except for the 800 meter and he did well in all the events except for the 400  meter. I still think if he trained for endurance more he would be a decent distance runner but apparently the sprints are his better events. He placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd every time he ran the 50, 100, 200 and 400 meter relay as well as placing in the bean bag toss. He enjoyed training, competing and being part of the team. It was a very successful first season.

Here he is running the last leg of the relay at one of the four meets he competed in:

IMG_4770

The track team:

IMG_4784

Posing with all his ribbons:

IMG_4790

I even managed to get Jake to go for a morning run with me. I am kind of hoping this is something we can do together more often. It was what prompted me to sign us up for the 5K we recently completed in Big Bear.

IMG_4832

Not to mention the fact that running better prepares Jake for his favorite sport - soccer. So one chapter closes and another begins. It's all about the silver linings.

No comments: