Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A little bit of history

Our town is pretty small. The first time we were stationed here, we got a Denney's. Joe and I swore the town was going to throw a parade it was such a big deal. Most people who are military do not like it out here. They do not understand why we would purposely stay in such a small isolated desert community and I admit, I once felt that way too. I did not understand why so many Marines chose to retire out here. However, besides the obvious allure of low living costs and little traffic, the desert can be beautiful and every once in awhile you stumble upon a little known fact that reminds you that that this place has a rich history all of it's own.


The weather has been beautiful. With the kids feeling better it could not have been a better day to take them to the park and let them run around and it just so happens that they just built a brand new playground within walking distance of our house. So I threw some supplies in a backpack, put Jake on his bike and Jadyn and I walked while Jake rode his bike over to the new park. Of course this is a part of this trek that happens upon a dirt trail, during which time I have to carry Jake's bike but it was worth it. The playground is gorgeous. The kids had a blast. And I had a chance to read the dedication of the park located on a rock. It turns out that Knott Sky Park (the park has always been there, just the playground is new) used to be Knott Sky Ranch, owned by the very same Knott Family that founded Knott's Berry Farm. Their son loved the desert so much, they had a motel and landing strip so they could fly into the desert and entertain guests. I thought that was an interesting tidbit of information. Here are some pics from the park:



Taking a break after arriving at the park:


















































1 comment:

Grandma Kelly said...

Ah ha finally with a little help I have figured out how to leave a comment. As I told you Jen I check the blog every other day. The easter pictures turned out great. Those kids are beautiful. I cannot wait to see them in July. Tell those beautiful children Grandma hopes they act as nice as they look and that Grandma and Grandpa George loves them with all our hearts.
Grandma Kelly